How is the p-value calculated
Next page:Test variable, critical value and Upwards:Test procedure Previous page:Significance level (probability of error) & nbsp index
In computer programs, a so-called “test variable” of a statistical test is often used -Value calculated (p value). This is the probability that the test variable will assume at least the value calculated in the sample, i.e. this value or a larger value, if the »null hypothesis« is valid. The value calculated for the sample is denoted by and the test variable with , then it is about the following (exceedance) probability: . In other words: it is the probability of error with which one can just barely refute the null hypothesis.
Some computer programs designate the Value therefore also as significance. However, that's not particularly fortunate in that the level of significance in front and does not have to be determined after the test has been carried out: In front Carrying out the test, considering the risks of a possible wrong decision (errors of the first and second kind), one must determine what probability of error one would like to allow in the test. It is inadmissible if the significance level retrospectively to the -Value of the sample, depending on whether one would like to achieve a significant or a non-significant result.
But then why do you need that -Value? The advantage of the p-value is that, on the one hand, you do not need a table of the test distribution to determine a critical value of the test variable or the rejection range of the null hypothesis. On the other hand, you can use the - Read the value of how far the (previously) selected level of significance is undershot or exceeded, i.e. whether the null hypothesis is only barely or very clearly refuted or confirmed.
When using the p-value (instead of a critical value of the test variable), a test is decided as follows:
- : Null hypothesis refuted,
- : Null hypothesis confirmed.
Next page:Test variable, critical value and Upwards:Test procedure Previous page:Significance level (probability of error) & nbsp index HJA 2001-10-01
- What is customer interface
- How can you start an IT company
- What are the different types of telemarketing
- Why are there semi-automatic sniper rifles
- Why is it important to make money
- What are some examples of OCD behavior
- Why is money important to all people
- What is static and dynamic stiffness
- Why do most girls clap
- Who killed Shakuni in Mahabharat
- What is the most midwestern at all
- When did Paul McCartney stop smoking cigarettes?
- When does a cook become a cook
- How much does a consulting company cost
- What jobs do celebrities have
- What's important in statistics
- Should I find my true calling
- Christianity is dying in the US
- How much do minimum wage workers earn
- What are US marshals
- What are the best pc gaming brands
- Smart people are usually messy
- How safe is Honolulu
- What is Quora doing for India
- Why is Quora not working in Chrome
- Which country is best for high income
- What does a typical week look like for you
- Did our gay ancestors live in Staemmen
- How does the minimum wage harm the economy
- Why should I choose WordPress for blogging?
- What is YouTube's software architecture
- Why do sugar cookies taste the same
- Is Thailand a good travel destination
- Where can I buy activated carbon