How can I help people with cancer
5 tips for relatives of people with cancer on World Cancer Day
If someone in the family gets cancer, it doesn't just affect the patient. Relatives also need support and a strategy. “The relatives in particular are not aware of this. You believe that you have to shoulder all burdens undemanding and thereby lose the awareness of your own needs, ”says Prof. Petra Feyer, chairwoman of the Berlin Cancer Society. “In this way, a life situation arises for many relatives that they will sooner or later feel overwhelmed,” says Feyer. So that it doesn't get that far, the Berliner Krebsgesellschaft e.V. gives relatives the following tips on how to deal with the sick person and the situation:
1. Get help: Open yourself up to a good friend or an experienced psycho-oncologist.
Are you afraid of the illness of your loved one and you have the feeling that your life is slipping away from you? Have the courage to speak out what moves you. Find someone you can talk to openly about your feelings. This can be a person from your circle of friends or a psycho-oncologically trained counselor. The 16 regional cancer societies with their 128 psychosocial cancer counseling centers nationwide offer free advice and support. Make an appointment with a phone call.
2. Ask the sick person about their wishes and thereby relieve yourself.
Many cancer patients already feel determined by the therapy. Then a well-intentioned advice - according to the motto “Don't do this ... do that ..." is quickly misunderstood as paternalism. In spite of everything, those affected want to be treated “normally”. Therefore ask the sick person what he would like to do in everyday life or where he needs help. And when you address sensitive topics, formulate your wishes in I-messages (I feel ..., I wish ..., I ask myself ... etc.), in this way you prevent misunderstandings.
3. Take your own feelings and needs seriously.
Of course, you are concerned about the well-being of your sick family member. But don't lose sight of your own needs during this time. Ask yourself: how am I doing? I would like to? What is good for me? And when you have found an answer to that, allow yourself to do what brings you joy and relaxation without a guilty conscience.
4. Make good use of your time together.
Time has become a precious commodity. Therefore, every hour you can spend with your loved one is precious. Think about how you will spend your time together and whether you could add a little more joy. Seeing the good in the here and now gives depth and connectedness to your life and that of your partner. Even later, no one can take that away from you.
5. Clarify pressing financial issues.
When cancer patients can no longer work full-time, they are often dependent on financial support. If the livelihood of the whole family is at risk, you as a relative should clarify how things will continue economically. Cancer counseling centers such as the Berlin Cancer Society also support you in financial and social issues.
Source: Press release from the Berlin Cancer Society on World Cancer Day 2017
More on the subject:
Coping with cancer with family and friends
Being open about cancer and having honest conversations with your loved ones can help you deal with cancer.
Read more Coping with cancer with family and friends
Talk to family and friends about cancer
The (spouse) partner, family members and good friends are the people who are closest to the patient. Their attention and their often enormous practical help go a long way towards absorbing the emotional distress of the person concerned. Honest, open interaction with one another creates trust and helps to clarify problems.
Read more Talking about cancer with family and friends
Last accessed on: May 19, 2021 4:01 pm
- Could the US ban Fortnite?
- What is the rarest wheat back penny
- Which statistic made you sad
- How was dark matter theoretically proven
- How video streaming protocols work
- What surprised you about India today?
- Strong abs help balance
- Why does the sea look blue
- What happens to the homeless
- Which films have the best marketing activities
- Why do many people hate me
- How much gun control does Trump want
- Can neutron stars fuse with black holes?
- When do people smile
- What makes you mad
- Why is the time in space different
- How was the Roman Republic founded
- Which products were successful without significant marketing?
- Will there ever be a happy pill?
- What would happen if net neutrality ends?
- What are the top three life hacks
- India becomes a capitalist country
- What's your Least Favorite Reality Show?
- Who is the nastiest movie villain