Why is content so important to SEO
Search engine optimization of content
SEO & Content: Brief explanation
Search engine optimization (SEO for short) is used to design a website and its content technically and in terms of content in such a way that it achieves a better ranking in the result lists of search engines such as Google. Content - such as texts, images or videos - can also be optimized according to certain specifications in order to appear further up in the search results. This content is often referred to as SEO content.
Search engine optimization of content: detailed explanation
Search engines, above all Google, are an important tool in the battle for user perception on the Internet. In addition to direct access and recommendations through social media, they are the most common way that leads users to an (unknown) website. Studies have shown that users rarely click on the second, third or the following pages of the results lists of search queries. It is therefore essential for companies and their marketing to appear at the top of the ranking.
By optimizing the website for search engines, operators can achieve a better position. Over time, search engines like Google have shown many ways a good page should be designed. Professional search engine optimizers are also constantly discovering ways - partly compliant, partly illegal - to optimize pages for the search algorithm. In principle, a distinction is made between two measures in SEO:
On-page optimization deals with the factors that can be changed directly on the website. These include, on the one hand, technical measures that can be regulated by the content management system or the structure and structure of the site. For example, it is important to fill in meta tags completely and correctly, to write the page in clean HTML code or to build a meaningful navigation structure that is easy for the search engine to read.
On the other hand, content-related measures are also necessary: texts, images or films should be prepared for Google & Co. in such a way that the crawler can read, analyze and process them without any problems.
Offpage optimization includes all search engine optimization methods that take place outside of your own site. First and foremost, it consists of link building strategies designed to ensure that the page receives valuable backlinks. Even though SEO experts are increasingly discussing how important link building is, as Google seems to be less and less considering links as a ranking factor. In addition, in times of content marketing and “content is king”, good content also plays an increasingly important role in link building.
Who optimizes a website according to SEO criteria
In principle, can anyone who has an influence on the design of a website - for example website operators, marketing managers, designers or authors - contribute to the optimization for search engines. For example, the programming, the structure, but also the texts, images and videos of a page must be search engine optimized. There are many small adjusting screws that can be turned in the event of a successful optimization.
Have a good overview of these levers and have much more in-depth know-how SEO agencies. These SEO and marketing experts specialize in using SEO methods to give websites a promising ranking position. A professional agency usually consists of a team that analyzes the side of its customers (using software) and then gives tips for optimization. An agency often maintains its customers' websites on a permanent basis and reviews them regularly. In this way, customers partially outsource the necessary effort and, in a good agency, get a cooperation partner who brings complex knowledge with it - but also causes higher costs than other solutions.
Another option for good search engine optimization is one In-house SEO (team). One or more SEO experts are permanently employed in the company to monitor the optimization of the pages. This results in short coordination channels for a company and the advantage of a direct, permanent contact person.
Whether an SEO agency or an in-house SEO is used, each content creator is to a certain extent responsible for the search engine optimization of content when writing, photographing or shooting videos. Even if entire websites have been optimized by SEO professionals, optimizing the content for Google & Co is a permanent process for every post. The big advantage of this is that good content now also has a positive effect on search engines for the reader.
What is good SEO content?
In recent years, what search engines understand by good content has come closer and closer to what a human reader understands by good content. Even if there are still differences between the two, content that the reader likes is now the top priority of Google & Co.
That means good content has to appeal to the reader bring added value, entertain, inform or help him. Good content - whether video, text or image - is unique, precisely tailored to the right target group and encourages the user to participate, share and like.
Content marketing as a new sub-discipline of online marketing takes up all of these factors. Effective link building seems to be getting more and more difficult due to the devaluation of links in search engine algorithms. As a result, content marketing is currently a popular and well-functioning strategy for generating traffic and building a positive corporate image. Website operators produce content with added value in content marketing and distribute it via social media - such as Facebook, Twitter and Google+ - or other seeding channels. This works with texts as well as images or video. The search engine shows the content with real added value preferentially in the search results and thus leads the user to the content. Nevertheless: Even with content marketing, the content should be search engine optimized.
Good SEO - What is crucial in optimization
Search engine optimization for texts
- Unique content: For texts on the Internet, it is important that they be unique, because Google reliably recognizes duplicate content and punishes it quickly.
- Text length: In order to give Google enough material to evaluate, texts should not be too short.
- Holistic content: Texts on the Internet should describe a topic as comprehensively as possible and illuminate it from different perspectives. The entire content of a single page should make it clear to the search engine which topic it is dealing with.
- Topicality: Good content should be refreshed and expanded regularly. When Google detects that a page is being updated from time to time, the search engine upgrades this website, crawls it more frequently and thus brings new content into its index more quickly. Regular blog entries, articles or the expansion of existing texts therefore also have an advantage for the ranking.
- Left: Links to other texts on their own website as well as links to websites of other operators show Google that the author of the text offers his readers further information. However, an author should use these links sensibly: The link should be logical and simplify the navigation on the website and outward for the user. The number of external links must be appropriate to the length of the text. A lot doesn't necessarily help a lot here, the saying “Every Link needs a story” counts.
- Keywords: Keywords show the search engine to a large extent which content a page deals with. Where keyword density was used as a benchmark for a long time, many SEOs are now moving more and more away from fixed values. However, authors should place keywords more often and above all in the right places: The terms are important in h1 headings, h2 headings, at the beginning of text and paragraphs, near images or videos, at the end of the text and also in the meta tags Google gives them more importance there.
Since searchers often use two or three terms for their search query, so-called long-tail optimization for such keyword combinations is an important factor. Google is also increasingly understanding complex search queries and their semantics and is looking for suitable results: In future, long-tail queries such as “What are good keywords” should be taken into account when choosing keywords.
- WDF * IDF: Using the WDF * IDF formula, terms that match a keyword and their distribution in a text can be calculated. The rule gives much more extensive and meaningful values than a simple keyword density and provides terms on the basis of which an author can write a reader-friendly text.
- Formatting: Good texts make it easy to scan and are structured in such a way that Google bots and readers can find their way around. Well-placed and meaningful subheadings, bullet point lists, bold fonts, structuring paragraphs and a table of contents make a text manageable and therefore reader-friendly. In addition, authors should prefer to put important words in the left margin of the text. The Google bot also recognizes all of these measures as useful and thus rates the text more positively.
- Fill in tags: Meta-Description, Alt-Tag, Title and Co. give the reader and the search engine information about which topic a page deals with. Even if Google only partially counts these tags as a ranking factor, the search engine uses the meta description in its snippets or shows the title of the page as a search result. A reader-friendly website therefore uses meaningful and meaningful words and descriptions here.
- The important things first: Many users only stay briefly on websites that do not immediately show them what they are looking for. Therefore, the most important information belongs at the beginning of a page, every paragraph and every sentence - this makes texts easier to scan.
- Spelling and Grammar: Even if it is controversial (as with many ranking factors) whether and how much influence correct spelling and grammar have on the ranking, correct spelling is an indicator of quality that the reader perceives. If the reader concludes that the spelling is poor, their confidence may be reduced and their chances of returning to the site may be reduced. Correct spelling and grammar are therefore important indirect SEO factors.
Search engine optimization for videos
- Added value for the viewer: Video content should also bring added value for the user in order to collect traffic and show the search engine that it is relevant.
- Names and Tags: The meta elements, title tags, etc. are also important for videos, as Google can currently only read (moving) images to a limited extent. The search engine is dependent on descriptions by the video producer. The descriptions, including the corresponding keywords, should be placed in crucial places such as the title or meta description and the file name of the video should also be meaningful.
- Text around the video: Search engines rate a video more positively if a meaningful text explains the film. Both the direct description (on Youtube etc.) and on the website in which it is embedded should therefore contain additional content with the appropriate key terms.
- Invitation to interact: Whether in the video itself or in the surrounding text, asking the viewer to interact by sharing, liking, commenting or linking is an important indirect SEO factor. Ultimately, it increases the reach, increases the traffic and shows Google the relevance of the content.
Search engine optimization for images
- No duplicate content: Google is also reluctant to see duplicate content when it comes to images.
- Name and Tags: The file name of the image should be meaningful, the descriptions in the tags should contain the appropriate keywords and (depending on the tag) explain the content or meaning of the image. Google reads out all text data of the image in order to be able to assign it better and assigns a rating on this basis.
- File size, image size and format: The file size of an image plays a particularly important role in terms of loading times. Because search engines prefer websites that load quickly. Therefore the file size should be as small as possible. Nevertheless, with regard to the user experience, attention should be paid to the image quality. The image size (number of pixels) and the format also seem to have an influence: Google seems to prefer large images and can better display the 4: 3 format in its image search.
- Text on the picture: The text near the picture should be related to the picture, because pictures underline or even determine the content of the text on a page. The desired keywords should also be placed here. Captions in particular require a clear statement that matches the image.
- Added value for the user: The images should complement the text or even form the basis for it. If the image brings added value to the reader and the caption on the image also reflects its content, images can generate additional traffic via the Google image search.
The optimization of websites and content with regard to search engines is the basis for the traffic of Google & Co. This makes SEO a duty for every company that wants to present itself appropriately on the Internet. SEO can include both on-page methods, i.e. technical and content-related improvements to the website, as well as off-page methods, especially link building. The search engine optimization of content also plays an extremely important role today, where content marketing is becoming more and more important and should be a goal of every marketing strategy. By optimizing various factors, marketing and SEO experts can optimally prepare text, image and video content for the search engine and the user and thus make a major contribution to the visibility, traffic and conversion rate of a company.
By using SEO options, self-service clients at Textbroker have the opportunity to optimize content for search engines according to their wishes. Search engine optimization of content is also a matter of course in Textbroker's managed service.
Join over 53,000 customers worldwide and use Textbroker for your content marketing.
register now for free
- How are photosynthesis and breathing related?
- Which country has the most conservative youth
- What will the future of Terraform be?
- Why were handguns issued to Russian cosmonauts
- Can synthetic vitamins cause cancer?
- How do the countries pay each other billions
- Can I fire my teacher
- What is it like to live without empathy
- You can get cancer from spicy food
- How did astronomers photograph a black hole?
- Which is better CA or Network Marketing
- How is Turkey's new Istanbul airport
- Internet anonymity encourages people to misbehave
- Is it worth pursuing your passion
- Why is economic inequality increasing
- Helps whey recover after masturbating
- Is it healthy to eat at night?
- How many US soldiers killed Syria
- Which foods are bad for the liver
- In what color do fish see water?
- How many animals are killed there
- What is the most unhealthy food additive
- How do I check a company detail
- How can you unsubscribe from a Gmail email
- What defines you 3
- What do the French eat for breakfast
- What happens during a near death experience
- Maesten wine leaves
- Why are laws so difficult
- Can I bring CBC oil to Malaysia?
- What are the best online quizzes
- What is Michael Bloomberg's email address