Is the WWW a subdomain
What is a subdomain?
Subdomains help classify your website. We explain what a subdomain is and how you can recognize it.
A subdomain is the part of a domain that comes before the domain name. The subdomain is separated from the domain name by a period and is used to subdivide a website in a meaningful way.
By choosing different subdomains, for example, the blog (blog.website.de), the shop (shop.website.de) and the help area (help.website.de) are visibly separated from each other.
How do you recognize a subdomain?
A domain is always built from right to left. The top-level domain (for example “de” or “org”) comes first.
In second place is the second-level domain (the domain name, for example “google”). This is followed by the subdomain (for example “www” or “shop”).
In our domain guide, we have explained the structure and functions of the domains in detail.
What is an example of a subdomain?
The various subdomains become clear using the example of Google. The main website is under the domain www.google.com accessible.
Other Google services can be found by users under other subdomains. For example, the domain mail.google.com is used for its own mail program, under docs.google.com is where to find google docs and who calendarEntering .google.com will take you straight to the Google Calendar.
Why should you set up a subdomain?
Companies are free to decide whether they want to set up a subdomain or leave it out completely. But there are good reasons why you should set up a subdomain:
- Dividing a website into different projects, for example Shop.example.com.
- Multilingual websites, for example de.example.com for a German-language website.
- Regional reference, for example Berlin.example.de for a local website.
The selected subdomains should be easy to remember and match your brand image. Above all, short subdomains with catchy brand terms can be more easily noticed by users.
How do you create a subdomain?
You can set up the desired subdomains with your web host. The exact procedure depends on the respective provider and can differ from one another.
Basically, however, you have the option of assigning names to your subdomains - both for the public and for the non-public areas of a website. In order to make the division of the website as user-friendly as possible, these names should be structured in a meaningful way.
The names of the subdomains can be chosen freely. Nevertheless, there are a few guidelines. Allowed are:
- Letters from A-Z including umlauts
- Digits from 0-9
You should also make sure that your subdomain always begins with a letter or a number and is a maximum of 63 characters long. Spaces are of course not allowed.
What relevance do subdomains have for SEO?
Search engines recognize that the various subdomains belong to the main website, but treat them as a separate unit. The aim is to make the website user-friendly. Positive user signals and a higher level of engagement on the website have a positive effect on the ranking.
Therefore, especially large pages with many sub-areas should consider whether the use of subdomains can make sense for your own company. Subdomains can then build authority in a niche that is actually not part of the core topic.
The IONOS podcast gives you even more information about subdomains, how to recognize them and why they are so important.
Register your domain now
This article is part of our content hub for web hosting, cloud services and domains and is sponsored by IONOS.
- What is ionization energy
- How does a lawyer introduce his client
- What are interview questions for dsa
- Was Socrates ever considered a writer
- Opera is a safe browser for banking
- Is Tunisia a secular country?
- How was your divorce
- How turtles snap like pets
- Who discovered the gender
- What did Greek mythology do
- Which products actually sell through dropshipping?
- How does AdSense send you money
- Are there any Quora teenagers
- How can you write a realistic dialogue
- What is the cooling circuit
- What are some creepy unsolved puzzles 1
- Who are some famous ELCA Lutherans
- Too gullible is harmful
- What are the 5 elements of funding
- What are the types of diet
- Would you consider India to be a western country
- Can we transfer money with a debit card?
- Has Voyager 1 left the Milky Way
- How successful were kamikaze pilots during World War II