Neurological symptoms can come and go
Neurological Complications in COVID-19
An infection with the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) can result in severe neurological complications. This is shown by case series from China published in medRxiv and the British Medical Journal.
Neurological symptoms are not uncommon in viral respiratory infections. Influenza headaches are often the first sign of illness. Neurological accompanying symptoms are also known for infections with harmless coronaviruses (e.g. NL63) or SARS-CoV-1 and MERS-CoV. In SARS and MERS, entry of the viruses into the brain has been proven. It takes place via the olfactory nerves. Smell disorders also occur after an illness with SARS-CoV-2, whether the viruses also infect the brain is not yet known.
+++ More on the topic: Which corona tests are there? +++
Central Nervous System Infection?
Neurological symptoms can also be an indirect consequence of infection. The neurologist Huijuan Jin from Hauzhong University in Wuhan assumes, after evaluating the electronic medical records of 214 corona patients, that the infection affects the central nervous system. Neurological symptoms were noted in 78 patients (36.4%). The most common were:
- Dizziness (36 patients, 16.8%)
- Headache (28 patients, 13.1%)
- Taste disorders (12 patients, 5.6%)
- Olfactory disorders (11 patients, 5.1%)
The neurological symptoms were more common in those with severe symptoms than in those with mild disease. A stroke occurred in 6 patients (2.8%).
Serious complications were also seen more frequently in patients who did not survive COVID-19 illness. This is shown by an evaluation by Qin Ning's team from Huazhong University. The doctors had diagnosed hypoxic encephalopathy before death in 23 of 133 deceased. In a comparison group of 161 patients who recovered from the infection, this serious complication occurred in only one case.
+++ More on the topic: Artificial ventilation in the intensive care unit +++
Stay informed with the newsletter from netdoktor.at
More articles on the topic
- Undercover Narken always come back
- What exactly is digital marketing
- What do DS games look like on 3DS
- What's the best hot photo
- Most religions are pagan driven
- How do I create a blog 12
- Who discovered the particle nature of light
- What are Nietzsche's most misunderstood ideas
- Have you ever changed
- Swans are dangerous
- Why do children have trouble finding things
- What was your first impression of me
- Can men make women pregnant when they are 60?
- What are you happy in life
- Can someone wear diamond jewelry occasionally
- Mental illness can be prevented
- What information does a microarray tell you
- Can you eat spam raw?
- Is nationalism wrong in any way
- What do Sinhalese think of Tamils
- What are the best kitchen knives
- Can I buy cameras online?
- Where can you get Steam Gift Cards
- What do you think of money