How much does a patent search cost
Apply for a patent: costs for Germany, Europe & worldwide
A lawyer can ensure that the patent really makes sense, that a new application does not infringe existing patents and that there are no unnecessary costs (e.g. by missing deadlines). This allows you to efficiently organize official fees and keep them as low as possible.
If you go through the registration process without a lawyer, the application may contain deficiencies and will be rejected. Was z. For example, if your patent research is inadequate and you register an invention that has already been patented, you not only lose the fees already paid. You must also expect injunctive relief and claims for damages from the other side.
To ensure that this does not happen under any circumstances, a lawyer can check your application for factual and legal errors. This avoids costly errors during the registration process.
advocado will find the right lawyer for you from a network of over 500 partner lawyers. He will contact you within 2 hours * for a free initial assessment on the possible costs of filing a patent application. Get an initial assessment now.
Depending on whether you are only applying for your patent in Germany or abroad, additional costs may arise.
- Translator: If you do not submit the application in the official language of the respective patent office (German at the DPMA, German, English or French at the EPO), you will have to have it translated. If an international application is split up into several national application procedures, the application must be translated into the respective official language.
- Foreign attorneys: If there are several national application procedures abroad, it may make sense to be accompanied by a lawyer licensed in the respective country. He knows the local legal system and can secure the entry.
3. Are there any follow-up costs?
If you have successfully applied for your patent, you have to pay annual fees from the 3rd year onwards in order to maintain the protection permanently. These increase from year to year. If you do not pay the annual fees, your patent will expire.
In the following table you will find some sample values for annual fees for German and European patent:
Year after registration
Annual fee for the German patent
Annual fee for the European patent
At the worldwide patent the annual fees are more complicated. Since this consists of several national patents, the fee rates of the respective countries apply.
Count to the registered countries z. For example, some European countries, Japan, China, Colombia, India, Zimbabwe and Algeria have different annual fees for each country. If these are added together, depending on the individual case, a high total can result.
Continuous patent monitoring
In order to maintain the patent protection permanently, you can monitor your patent after a successful application. By routinely checking new patent applications, you can prevent a competitor from copying your invention and using it for their own purposes. If you notice such a new registration, you can raise an objection within 9 months of publication.
If you can clearly demonstrate that the newly filed invention is similar to your patent, the opposition can be successful. The new registration will then be stopped and you may be able to claim injunctive relief and compensation.
The DPMA charges a fee of € 200.00 and the EPO € 785.00 for the opposition proceedings.
If a worldwide patent is infringed, the time limit and opposition fee are based on the respective national laws.
► Do you want to know what your patent will cost? advocado will find the right lawyer for you. He will contact you for a free initial assessment of your concern. Get an initial assessment now.
4. Is it possible to reduce the cost of applying for a patent?
Adhere to payment deadlines
Pay the official fees within the given deadline. Otherwise, patent offices can charge late fees of up to 50%.
If you do not pay the application fee to the DPMA within 3 months, the application is even considered withdrawn in accordance with Section 6 (2) of the Patent Act. Your invention will then neither be assessed nor protected.
Avoid mistakes when submitting an application
If you make mistakes when submitting the application, the correction can unnecessarily prolong the registration process. In the worst case, the application will be completely rejected. You would then not be reimbursed for patent fees that have already been paid.
If you belong to the following groups of people, you could take advantage of the WIPANO funding:
- State / state-recognized universities
- Publicly funded research institutions
- Small and medium-sized companies from the industrial, construction, trade and service sectors
- Self-employed in scientific and technical professions
Then you can submit a patent grant application and a Support of up to € 16,575.00 receive.
Licensing the patent
By licensing your patent, you can finance the annual fees and generate additional economic profits. For a license, you authorize a third party to use the patent. In return, he pays you license fees.
If you do not only declare your willingness to license after successful application, but rather when you submit your application, the patent offices can also reduce the application fees if necessary.
Legal protection insurance
If you have to take action against third-party use of your patent, your legal protection insurance may cover legal and court costs. What exactly is covered depends on your insurance tariff.
If you are unsure whether your legal protection insurance will cover, an advocado partner lawyer will be happy to make a free cover request for you. Describe your concerns here.
5. Clarify costs through an individual needs analysis
The costs for the patent application and subsequent maintenance can amount to four or even five-digit amounts. In order not to despair of the complicated fee tables of the patent offices or to cause unnecessary fees, an objective assessment by a lawyer can be helpful.
In advance you can proceed as follows:
- Think about the countries in which you want to have your invention protected.
- Describe your invention and think about possible uses.
- If you are already in contact with one of the patent offices, keep the correspondence in a safe place.
A lawyer can examine your project and use an individual needs analysis to break down the possible costs for the patent application in your case.
advocado will find the right lawyer for you from a network of over 500 partner lawyers. They will contact you within 2 hours * for a free initial assessment of the possible costs for the patent.
Would you like to apply for a patent and receive cost transparency?
An advocado partner lawyer will explain the possible procedure to you in a free initial assessment.
- What is a tandem yacht charter
- What are topological vector spaces
- Knowledge makes people happy
- Do children understand the importance of money
- How do I keep my schedule
- How can I clean my room intensively?
- Should I reply to Quora?
- Rich people are more generous
- Are there happy people
- Covers Medicare Chiropractic
- Rejection is a bad thing
- How durable are nerf guns
- How do I start a supermarket franchise
- How do you say why in Chinese
- Which companies should merge and why
- Why do I like cleaning
- What is love and sex
- Which medical problems are most often ignored?
- What should you never love in life?
- What is the difference between Plainsawn and Quartersawn
- How does the British economic system work
- Is the ashes of a cigarette poisonous?
- A smartphone causes cancer
- How can I promote my business online