Should I study cognitive science
Cognitive science studies: all information
- Degree programs from A-Z -
Do you want to study cognitive science? Find out more here
Please don't think of a small, yellow car! Oops, did you? And now under no circumstances try to read this text in the voice of Sheldon Cooper! Too late ... But how is it that you had his voice in your head now? Where does this inner reader come from, how does something like reading, thinking, imagining something and understanding something actually work? And what role does our brain play in this? It is precisely these questions that cognitive science tries to answer. You can expect an interdisciplinary course with many elements from mathematics, biology, psychology, linguistics and computer science. The latter subject in particular plays an important part in cognitive science, because its results contribute to driving the development of artificial intelligences that should be able to think and act independently. Sounds like science fiction? Welcome to cognitive science.
Cliché vs. Reality
What is true and what is not
All focal points for your subject
Did you already know, that...
... someone who writes a program that manages to convince a person for 25 minutes that they are chatting with a real person wins the so-called Loebner Prize worth 100,000 dollars? The award was announced in 1991. This task is known as the Turing test. So far there has not been a program that could meet the conditions of the Loebner Prize.
... modern science does not just assume the five senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch? The feeling of temperature, the sensation of pain and the sense of balance are also classified as separate senses. Scientists are not entirely in agreement, however, which is why the number of human senses fluctuates between 14 and 20.
... there are people who can remember everything that they have experienced so far? You suffer from what is known as hyperthymetic syndrome. The so-called declarative long-term memory is particularly strong in your brain, every recorded situation and every experienced situation is assessed by the brain as equally important or emotionally significant and stored in the memory.
In the Cognitive Science degree, you will examine the processes and requirements that enable our cognition, i.e. our intellectual achievements such as thinking and speaking, but also, for example, feelings such as love, hate or grief. It has always been assumed that thought processes take place like calculations, i.e. that they can be understood on a mathematical level. That is why the mathematics and computer science components are very high in the course. There are also occasional modules in which you work with computer models, for example to teach a robot to grasp a cup. However, the theoretical part clearly predominates in the cognitive science course.
You spend most of your time with ...
- ... mathematics and computer science.
- ... cognitive architectures and algorithms.
- ... neuroscience.
- ... mathematical models to describe thought and perception processes.
- ... the problems of artificial intelligences.
Examples of lectures & seminars
- - Cognitive architectures
- - Controversies in cognitive science
- - Space and time cognition
- - Learning the kinematics and targeted control of a robot arm
- - Visual perception and attention
Possible master’s degree programs
Tips for beginners
1. Be ready for math, math & math:
Similar to the psychology degree, you can expect a lot of math in the first semesters of cognitive science. You should be prepared for that. After all, in cognitive science it is primarily assumed that the way in which thinking works can best be approached through mathematics. The corresponding mathematical models must therefore be readily available in the long term. So grit your teeth if you weren't a fan of math at school and take tutorials. You are certainly not alone there :)
2. Do androids dream of electric sheep?
What is the difference between people and machines who sometimes don't even know that they are just machines? Are intelligence, emotions and empathy purely “human” traits? Key questions for numerous mind games, one of which became the novel “Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?” By the American writer Philip Kindred Dick - better known as “Blade Runner”. An explicit reading recommendation if you want to deal with cognitive science questions on a literary level. The Turing test also occurs in a slightly modified form.
3. Think early about your career prospects:
It is not that easy for cognitive scientists to find a job in the private sector with a BA degree. You should definitely consider a master’s degree and also think about the direction in which you want to specialize. It depends on where you can go professionally. This can also have an impact on your choice of university. It is best to find out from the student advisory service at the respective university which thematic focuses are placed in their courses so that you know what options you have at the respective locations.
- You know your university best -
Think for a moment, then rank university!Rate your university now
- Feel-good factor
- Service factor
- Do cats remember their kittens?
- Can tourists buy alcohol in Indonesia?
- Why are you stoic
- How did you celebrate International Cat Day
- The friction increases with increasing speed
- Astrophysicists don't work well with NASA
- In the crypto currency, where is the money going
- Is Daly City CA a safe city
- How can I guarantee to make money online
- What is vitamin B2 made of
- What are the best personal blogs
- What is the difference between rice and pasta
- Why do people neglect each other
- What does presence mean
- How long did your grandfathers live
- Do children understand the importance of money
- Which dominos or KFC prefer
- Are the Philippines a racist country?
- What's wrong with cadmium
- What made you angry at Quora today
- What is your favorite Arabic dialect?
- Why should NASA take photos from space
- You can judge paternity by blood type
- The Lux vacuum cleaner is worth it