First year BCA students receive internships

Co-insurance: adult children in training

Current notice

Since March 11, 2020, for the duration of the Covid-19 pandemic, the co-insurance of children and grandchildren has been extended beyond the age of 27 during ongoing school or vocational training. Co-insurance is automatically extended by six months (from the age of 27), but no longer than June 30, 2021.

What are the prerequisites for the non-contributory co-insurance of adult children with their parents?

  • The adult child is in school or vocational training or is studying at a school, technical college or university.
  • At least one parent who is insured with the Austrian Health Insurance Fund (ÖGK) (it must be a Compulsory insurance or one Auto insurance available).
  • Habitual residence of the child in Austria.
  • Age of the child under 27 years.

TheExamination of eligibility for relativesis to be set anew every year.

Which confirmations are necessary for co-insurance?

  • Proof of receipt of family allowance.
  • If no family allowance is received: Proof of education (e.g. school attendance or study confirmation).
  • From the second academic year: Proof of academic success to the extent of at least eight successfully completed semester hours or 16 ECTS points in the previous academic year or a copy of the diploma examination certificate (1st Rigorosum) after the end of the first study section.

Please only send us copies and not original documents. Always enclose the personal data and social security number of the parent who is co-insured with the copies.

Will I lose my co-insurance if I work temporarily?

If you, as an adult, co-insured child, are insured through a job (e.g. holiday work), the co-insurance with the parents is suspended. As soon as you quit the job, the co-insurance is automatically revived. You do not have to submit your own application. But don't forget to send your annual application again at the beginning of the autumn semester.

27 years old or no job after graduation: what to do?

Adults in training or students lose the opportunity to take out insurance with their parents when they turn 27. You now have the following options:

  • Students studying at an Austrian university or university of applied sciences can apply for a Self-insurance for students to lock.
  • Anyone who does not have a job after completing or dropping out of their studies or an apprenticeship and is not entitled to unemployment benefits can take out insurance with their father or mother free of charge for a maximum of 24 months. This is only possible as long as you have not yet reached the age of 27. The form for checking eligibility for relatives must be accompanied by a confirmation of the completion or termination of the training, e. B. Graduation certificate or certificate of leaving from the university as well as a note from the applicant parent that the adult child is unemployed and is not entitled to unemployment benefits.
  • Does an adult child practice one in addition to training Marginal employment off, is a cheap one Auto insurance possible, which includes both health and pension insurance.
‌ Last updated on November 14, 2020