What makes some sense
"Making sense" will never make sense
We already know that the English language influences the German language, but for some time the grammatical nonsense “make sense” in German has seemed to make sense for many native speakers.
However, there is bad news because the phrase "make sense" does not exist. This is based on the English phrase "to make sense", but it cannot be translated 1: 1.
It may seem hip and trendy to incorporate English phrases into everyday language usage.
Another reason for misuse may be the fact that "make sense" is much shorter and therefore easier to say than "make sense". If one takes a closer look at the German language, it is noticeable that the verb "machen "is very often linked and not infrequently is based on an English phrase:
- fool around
- have fun
- Get serious
- Make breakfast
- to have a career
- Do the laundry
- to go on vacation
- Do the dishes
It quickly becomes clear that German is the language of the makers and therefore it is not surprising that “making sense” has found its way into linguistic usage as a matter of course. The verb “make” means that something is made, manufactured, prepared, done or effected.
Why making sense is not possible, but still makes sense!
The expression “sense” is something abstract, which consequently cannot be manufactured or manufactured. You can seek, find, recognize or understand the meaning and the meaning can be lost, but you will never be able to make sense. A donkey bridge could therefore be: There is no recipe for making, creating, preparing or making sense.
Other terms that can be used in this context:
- That makes sense. / That does not make sense.
- There is no point in any of this.
- I don't see any point in this venture.
The expression "make sense" is only accepted in colloquial use. However, it is by no means good German and can lead to people not being taken seriously. The columnist and satirist Max Goldt formulates it as "primitive translation Anglicism". One can only hope that the German language will not bend to this, so that in the worst case scenario “make sense” will be included in the Duden.
- Is D Mart cheaper than Big Bazaar
- How is sex like 1
- How do I find valid voucher codes
- Is world peace attainable
- The Congress pays Awdhesh Singh
- How do Youtubers give away free things
- Why did Quora remove the detail function
- Who is the nastiest movie villain
- All space objects rotate
- How can I study in Singapore
- The Philippines are poor
- What is the information of the internet
- Are Austrians German
- Where should I repeat for the JEE
- How much have you invested in Bitcoin
- Causes Splenda Cancer
- What are some examples of psychology test questions
- How many government employees are in India
- What's the best way to get backlinks
- Why does cancer cause weight loss
- What do the Turks think of Indians
- Is scripted Undercover Boss
- What is an email id
- What does social media mean