What is the poverty rate in the USA
Poverty in the US reaches record levels
In the United States, more people than the total population suffer from poverty than there have been in nearly two decades. Last year, 15.1 percent of all Americans lived below the poverty line, as the US statistics agency announced on Tuesday (September 13, 2011). This is the highest value since 1993. In absolute terms, 46.2 million US citizens were considered poor in 2010, the highest number since the survey began 52 years ago.
According to the OECD, the USA has the highest poverty rate of all industrialized countries
The numbers rose in 2010 for the fourth year in a row. In 2009 the poverty rate was 14.3 percent, in 2000 it was 11.3 percent. The current poverty line is officially set at an annual income of $ 22,314 for a family of four and $ 11,139 for a single person. The limit is adjusted annually for inflation.
According to the OECD, the United States has the highest poverty rate of industrialized countries. Poverty is particularly widespread among African American citizens (27.4 percent) and among the population of Hispanic descent (26.6 percent). Even among children, poverty is no longer a marginal phenomenon in the USA: around one in five children there now lives in poverty.
Falling real income
Soup kitchens save the poor from starvation
The numbers also reflect the poor economic situation. The USA is still suffering from the aftermath of the recession that was triggered by the financial and real estate crisis four years ago. The unemployment rate averaged 9.6 percent in 2010. According to statisticians, the median household income has fallen 6.4 percent since the start of the recession in 2007 to $ 49,445. Overall, household income has barely moved compared to inflation over the past 30 years: While an average family, adjusted for price, now earns only eleven percent more than in 1980, consumer prices have risen by around 155 percent, reported the US television station CNN.
Author: Martin Schrader (afp, dpa, rtr)
Editor: Walter Lausch
- Who was the author of Isaiah
- Why is the Chinese language so complex
- What is the best diet for bodybuilding
- What are some innocent mistakes that you have seen
- Can 3 cats share a litter box
- Can I eat pizza while fasting intermittently?
- How to create an app
- How was your JEE Mains 2018 2
- What is vignetting
- Does Medicare cover home care?
- Which countries have the highest life expectancy
- God made people who made God
- Why is discord free
- Is justfly com legitimate
- When is a wall not a wall?
- Indians make money with ClickBank
- What happened in your life today
- When is Black Friday 2020
- Which color goes with dark gray upholstery
- What makes your time fly now
- How to buy a gold chain
- Are you happy right now?
- Are funnels good for e-commerce
- What are Darwin's four theories of evolution
- What is the weakest benzodiazepine
- How do I write an exclamation point
- Wear paraplegic diapers
- How do I brand on Instagram
- Did you use AirPods 2
- Can you eat 1000 cookies
- How many dice are there in Yahtzee
- What does high melting point mean
- How do we say appreciation in Japanese
- Why do some cucumbers taste bitter?