What do black dots on the iris mean?
Mouches volantes - the vitreous cloudiness in the eye
What is vitreous opacity?
The vitreous is the jelly-like mass that occupies most of the eye. It consists to a small extent of hyaluronic acid and collagen fibers, for the most part of water. The collagen fibers form the framework that maintains the shape of the vitreous body. They are still regularly arranged in childhood and adolescence.
However, with increasing age, the vitreous body shrinks more and more. As a result, the collagen fibers lose their structure: They clump together and form longer, fibrous patterns. Over time, the vitreous humor loses contact with the retina. The collagen fibers then cast shadows on the retina, which you perceive as black dots in front of the eye - flying mosquitoes (Mouches volantes).
Is vitreous opacity dangerous?
Vitreous opacity is not dangerous and always painless. Almost everyone has the experience of floaters in the course of their lives. The reason for this lies in the natural aging process of the eyes. Black dots, threads or fluff are therefore initially nothing to worry about.
However, the first time you notice vitreous opacity in the eye, you should see an ophthalmologist to rule out other eye disorders. This is especially true if the eye floaters suddenly appear in swarms. This phenomenon can be a sign of retinal detachment, which is a medical emergency and needs treatment as soon as possible. The same applies if you see flashes of light or curtain-like blackouts.
Vitreous opacity - treatment not necessary
There is no treatment for the floaters. Since the cause of the vitreous opacity is the normal aging process, the symptoms are on the one hand very difficult to treat and on the other hand they subside again over time - namely when the distance between the retina and the shrinking vitreous humor has become so large that the shadows appear no more sharp thread patterns.
Surgical treatment is only an option as a treatment for vitreous opacity if the eyesight is severely impaired. However, this is an absolute exception.
- What are Quora Question Comments
- Are Malaysians in Malaysia racist towards Indians
- Ships from Amazon to Puerto Rico
- What is the best gaming pc
- Why didn't Winston Churchill like the Irish?
- Can I buy cameras online?
- What does middle class mean to you
- How safe are weight loss pills
- Who invented the chocolate chip cookie?
- Abraham Lincoln won the referendum
- Why do people study psychology
- Basic questions asked in a fashion show
- How can I get a DAAD scholarship
- Who is the nastiest movie villain
- How is the economy in Hungary
- Why are pennies so small
- What is the secret behind 11 11
- What do teachers often underestimate?
- Which is tastier beef or mutton
- What are the 5 elements of funding
- What's your TOEFL experience
- Which is the best hosting
- How do license fees work
- What is your salary after completing a doctorate
- How do I keep my schedule
- What are some unspoken rules teenagers follow
- When everyone is rich, everyone is rich
- Love arises from understanding
- Why are there still game consoles?
- Why do all online courses cost 997
- Can you forge fingerprints?
- When is it okay to be you
- How do you use influencer marketing
- Tiberius was a successful leader