What are vitamin B12 foods
Vitamin B12: needed by everyone
Internet Explorer is no longer supported
For an optimal website experience, we ask you to use an up-to-date web browser.
The vital vitamin is found almost exclusively in animal products. Those who do not consume enough B12 run the risk of serious and irreversible deficiency symptoms.
The vitamin B12 (also cobalamin) belongs to the water-soluble vitamins of the B group. Our body needs the vitamin for cell division, the production of red blood cells (erythrocytes) and the proper functioning of the nervous system. In addition, B12 is involved in various metabolic processes that have an impact on heart and vascular health (homocysteine metabolism).
Vitamin B12: Occurrence in food
Where is vitamin B12 contained? It is found primarily in animal foods such as meat (especially liver), fish, milk, and eggs. The vitamin can also be found in small quantities in plant-based products, for example in sauerkraut.
|Food (100 g each)||Amount of B12 in micrograms|
Daily requirement of vitamin B12 and how to cover it
- Adolescents aged 15 and over and adults: about 3 micrograms
- Pregnant women: 3.5 micrograms
- Breastfeeding: 4 micrograms
Adults have a daily requirement of 3 micrograms. Pregnant women need 3.5 micrograms and breastfeeding women 4 micrograms of the vital vitamin.
Anyone who eats fish and - en masse - high-quality meat once or twice a week, has an occasional breakfast egg and consumes dairy products every day can easily cover their needs.
Normally, around 2 to 5 milligrams of vitamin B12 are stored in the human body, 60 percent in the liver and around 30 percent in the muscles. Since the daily requirement is around 3 micrograms, this vitamin supply would be sufficient for around three years if the intake was interrupted. A deficiency therefore only develops after years of reduced intake. (Continued below ...)
- What is qayamat
- How is the economy in Syria
- How is food in Uganda
- What is the COM domain used for?
- What is space-time singularity
- Should Trump be removed from office
- Which business brings more profit
- What happens when we control time
- What is the mark of a witch
- Why is voltage more dangerous than electricity
- Helps the Asians take positive action
- Offer treatment for PCOS
- Real learning through experience What is it
- Which is the best school in Dehradun
- How do I start with pharmaceutical marketing
- What is Cospec
- Why is LGBTQ illegal in Malaysia
- Do US tariffs really affect China?
- What is an important use of chromatography
- How is a teenager supposed to have sex
- Are 18 year old teenagers
- Why is money important to society
- Eats vegan halal
- What is the advantage of Japanese culture