Why is your country rich or poor
Poor in a rich country
Germany is actually a rich country. But more than 15 percent of the Germans are considered poor. You don't have to sleep on the street or to starvelike many people in other regions of the world, but they do not have enough money for rent, clothing or food. Affected by the poverty are in Germany especiallysingle parent, Unemployed and pensioner. In recent years, pensioner poverty has risen particularly rapidly.
The Pastor Michael Mombartz knows the problem of poverty well. He has organized several for 20 years Panel in Cologne. At the beginning of Food distribution In 2004 only ten people came to the table in the Holweide district - today there are 120. “Poverty has been rising for many years. We come therefore With our offers hardly afterwards“Says Mombartz.
The pastor has volunteer Helpers who deliver the groceries to the Needy to distribute. They get their food from organizations that do everything in wholesale markets and in supermarkets collectwhat was not sold. It is not easy for many people in need to go to the chalkboard and receive help. “People always come with a big one at the beginning Shame come here and weep a lot too, ”says Mombartz.
The 75-year-old pensioner Siegrid Giga is happy that the Tafel exists. “Without the food distribution would have to I on A lot dispense", she says. Mombartz understands: “When I look primarily at the elderly, they partially have worked all their lives and then With a few hundred euros a month get along I think it's different in a country like Germany approach should, ”he says seriously.
poverty (f., singular only) – the fact that people are poor
regarded as something– to be seen as something
Aid organization, -en (f.) - an organization that helps people in need
Percent, -e (n.) - a part of a hundred
to starve - die of hunger
be affected by something - have a specific problem
especially - especially; mainly
Single parents (m./f.) - a person who brings up and cares for a child alone
Unemployed, -n (m./f.) - someone who doesn't have a job
Pensioners - someone who no longer has to work and receives financial support from the state because they have reached a certain age
Pastor / pastor - a person who leads a parish
Table, -n (f.) - an organization that provides poor people with food
Food distribution, -n (f.) - here: the action in which food is distributed
can hardly keep up with something - here: not being able to offer as much as is needed
unsalaried - voluntarily; without getting paid
Needy, -n (m./f.) - a person who is very poor and needs help from others
to collect something - bring many things together by collecting them
Shame (n., singular only) - the feeling that something is embarrassing to you
have to do without something - not having or being able to do something
partially - in some cases; partly
get along with something - here: to live from something; use something so that it is enough
to | go - be here; happen in a certain way
Questions about the text
1. Who is Not particularly affected by poverty?
a) the elderly
b) a person with children and without a partner
c) the volunteers
2. What is the statement in the text?
a) The offer of the food banks was used more in the past.
b) In the past, the boards had more food to distribute.
c) The food banks are having difficulty supplying all who come today.
3. Michael Mombartz criticizes Germany for the fact that many older people ...
a) have to work well into old age.
b) not getting enough pension.
c) get more money than they need.
4. How can you replace the word “help” in the following sentence? „Many people in Germany urgently need Help.“
5. How can one use the words "goes up" in the following sentence Not replace? “The number of poor goes up.“
b) there is more
c) gets bigger
In Germany, many people often believe that pensioners are better off than the rest of the population, but poverty among pensioners has risen in recent years. What is the situation like in your country? How well are older people financially supported? Which groups are poor in your country? Discussed in the course.
- What are the components of HRIS
- Would you cancel the second amendment
- How do you say dinner in Japanese
- Are people who commit abortion killers
- Why don't I like people
- A 13-year-old can wear net trunks
- What is geological time
- Why do we want more about everything
- Who is the artist known as Banksy
- Ultrasonic jewelry cleaners really work
- Many Cubans speak English
- Are Asian cultures intrinsically racist
- How is wisdom better than wealth
- Home delivery of meat is good business
- Why do smart people behave stupid and childish
- Is the drop shipping market full
- Why is eating raw potatoes poisonous
- What does middle class mean to you
- What influences organizational development
- How can I remove my WhatsApp account?
- What motivates you to make your dream come true
- What is a probability density function
- Smart people keep their rooms clean
- What are space-time crystals
- What are some unfair school rules
- Economy Why is Australia so rich
- What is beta carotene 1
- How many millimeters are in one kilometer
- Why is considered 30 years old
- Non-Americans find American accents attractive
- Why is cricket so important
- What was your worst airport experience
- Has anyone ever reached Venus
- Can the Chinese speak Malay in Malaysia?