Make attractive couples attractive children
Older fathers have less beautiful children?
Anthropologists establish a connection between age-related mutations in male sperm and the attractiveness of children
Men who - for career reasons? - if you only want to have children at an advanced age, be careful: the older fathers are when they conceive, the higher the likelihood that the children will turn out less beautiful, have found Viennese anthropologists. In numbers: "When they are 20 years older, their children are five to ten percent less attractive."
The quote comes from Martin Fieder, researcher in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Vienna. Together with his research colleague Susanne Huber, he had over ten thousand faces of a US college graduate class of six men and six women examined for their appearance for a study on the relationship between the fatherhood of older men and the attractiveness of their offspring.
Result: a significant correlation between the less beautiful faces and the older age of the father, but not the mother.
Since the above percentages would also correlate with numbers that quantify the risks for diseases and "also with the mutation rates observed so far in male sperm", the scientists rate this as "a clear indication that the same phenomenon is involved". Expressed again in numbers:
"About 15 percent of an adolescent's attractiveness is likely due to this mutation rate."
Since the egg cells are already created in women at birth, older mothers have just as attractive children as young ones, according to German press reports on the study. In the UK, however, reports about the study add some consolation. The children of older fathers would live longer because their telomeres, the ends of the chromosomes, are often longer, which correlates with a longer life expectancy.
The observation of couples suggests another possible correlation: whoever becomes a father at twenty was probably chosen by the mother of his child, not least because of his appearance. On the other hand, if you become a father at fifty, you often have something else to offer the mother of your child: a comfortable, carefree, prosperous life.Read comments (61 posts) https://heise.de/-2155665Report errorPrint
- What are the 11 western states
- What are the UK University Rankings 2015
- Christians believe in dinosaurs
- How many votes does Idaho have
- Can you live on the minimum wage
- How can descriptive statistics be misleading
- The US dollar never collapses, but why
- Pan-romantic cruel sex is a real sexual orientation
- How is life in Amritsar
- How much does Google pay per click
- What's the easiest way to get fired
- Accepts Dartmouth AP credit
- How many Americans rely on food stamps
- Who owns the copyrights of Harry Potter
- Why does the UK not have hydrants?
- What are baryons and baryonic matter
- How do I patent my search formula
- Are Malaysians in Malaysia racist towards Indians
- How much does a consulting company cost
- What is your UX design process
- Gout may cause ankle pain
- How Your US Citizen Can Sponsor Parents
- Vitamin D deficiency causes nausea
- Gun control saved lives