How to activate your WordPress site
Instructions: Activate & configure WordPress multisite network
What is WordPress Multisite & what are the benefits?
With the Multisite function, you can create a network of separate websites within a single WordPress installation. In this way, the so-called super administrator manages several websites centrally with one user name and password. Multisite has been around since WordPress 3.0.
The functions and advantages at a glance:
- A network of multiple WordPress websites runs over a single WordPress installation.
- For example, one website can be a blog and another an online store.
- The website collection uses the same WordPress installation, including database, plug-ins and themes.
- The instances are virtual websites, i. H. Although they do not have their own directories on the server, they do have separate directories for media and their own data records in the database.
- The websites in the WordPress multisite network are accessed via subdomains or directories.
WordPress websites such as the New York Times and Harvard University use the function.
What are the differences between a single WordPress website and a WordPress multisite network?
- In a "normal" WordPress installation, theAdministrator represents the highest level of rights. With a WordPress multisite, however, there is oneSuper administratorwho has access to all instances.
- Each instance has its backend with a dashboard. There is also an admin dashboard that"Network Management" is called and is managed by the super admin.
- Plug-ins and themes installs the super admin and makes them available for other instances in the WordPress multisite network. Administrators of the instances cannot install extensions themselves.
What are the requirements for WordPress Multisite?
- WordPress is installed on the server.
- In the admin area under Settings> Permalinks something other than "Simple" is selected.
- All WordPress plug-ins are deactivated.
- To be on the safe side, there should be a current backup.
- You have FTP access to the website.
Activate WordPress Multisite in wp-config.php
- Establish the connection to the server with an FTP program such as FileZilla.
- In the root directory of the WordPress installation, the filewp-config.php to open.
- Above the lines/ * That's it, stop editing! Have fun blogging. * /add the following line:define ('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);
- Nowwp-config.php to save.
- Log in to the backend of the WordPress website and go toTools> Network Setup configure the WordPress Multisite.
- You choose between the following URL structures for access to the individual instances:
- A WordPress multisite in the network can refer to the top level domain via domain mapping.
- Finally, enter underNetwork title a name and underNetwork administrator email address Enter your email address and click onTo install.
Add the displayed code in wp-config.php and .htaccess
WordPress now shows two snippets of code like in Figure 1. You copy these into the files using FileZillawp-config.php and.htaccess to the specified places. In the .htaccess file, replace the existing code with the new lines of code. The WordPress multisite network is then activated and configured. Sign in again.
The new Network Management menu
The new menuNetwork management appears at the top of the admin bar. The activated websites are displayed below and you can switch to the respective backend (Figure 2).
- About theDashboard add new pages and new users.
- Under the menu itemWebsites The websites are listed with options for opening the dashboard, editing, deactivating and deleting.
- Users are via the menu itemuser set up.
- There are also menu items for managing theThemes, plug-ins andSettings.
Add a new website to the WordPress multisite network
Now the super admin can add a new website to the network at any time. To do this, click onMy Websites> Network Management> Websites and right onAdd new. Enter the website address for the subdirectory or subdomain, then the title and language of the website, the administrator's e-mail address and click onCreate website. Important: The new website will appear in the list. In order for another user to manage this new website as an administrator, you must next adjust the rights in the user management accordingly.
Install, delete, activate and deactivate plug-ins and themes
Only theSuper administrator has the rights to install and delete plug-ins and themes. Administrators of the individual websites can only activate and deactivate the provided plug-ins and themes. Removing the hook atActivate administration menus for plug-ins Under Network Management> Settings> Network Settings, administrators cannot access the plug-in management.
Conclusion on WordPress Multisite
Setting up a WordPress multisite network is done quickly. All you need is a web hosting package with a domain, a WordPress installation with customized configuration and a database. You can then add as many instances as you want and define an administrator for each. The websites in the WordPress multisite network can be accessed via a subdomain or a subdirectory, depending on the configuration. The WordPress multisite network is suitable, among other things, for separating blog and online shop or for managing a multilingual website.
More articles on the topic:
End of article
- What is the birthstone for June
- What's so good about the Apple Watch
- Why do teenagers like pop music
- Can you actually catch a punch
- How was AOC chosen in the first place?
- How did Solomon get rich
- How fast does space-time travel
- What is american culture
- Why does God not punish bad people
- What is the significance of laws
- What is Opt in Email Marketing
- Can Walmart hold you tight
- Why do Malay men like Chinese girls
- Which is the best preschool in Chennai
- How does it slow down time to get faster
- What do you think about the most?
- Which are the largest countries in Europe
- How do you define God 2
- Who pays the president's salary
- What did you learn about yourself today?
- How to use AWeber with WordPress
- What types of concreting equipment are there
- What is capitalism
- Why do people make it difficult to lose weight