Nature wants people to perceive trees
How do the trees know that autumn is coming?
It's about life and death. Like every autumn. When oaks blush, the maple turns yellow and the next gust of wind blows the last leaves from the trees. “As the temperatures drop, trees begin to draw all usable nutrients from their leaves and store them. The chlorophyll, which makes the leaves appear green to us, is first broken down, and the red and yellow colorings of the leaves become visible, ”explains forest policy officer Stefan Adler from the Naturschutzbund Deutschland (NABU).
Ultimately, the tree eats the usable components of its leaves, because it needs “strength” to survive the winter and does not want to “give anything away”. When all the nutrients in the leaf are used up, a kind of bark forms between the leaf base and the branch to protect the tree from frost. If a wind now comes up, the leaf is separated from the branch at this point. However, there are also cold periods in summer. The trees don't shed their leaves. Besides the air temperature, what shows the trees that it is autumn now?
"A second important factor that shows the trees that autumn is coming is the length of the day," says Stefan Adler. So plants can actually sense how long the days and nights are in relation to one another. Strictly speaking, the length of the dark period, i.e. the night, is the decisive factor. The trees measure the length of the night using special proteins in their leaves, which perceive dark red light. Ultimately, this is how deciduous trees ensure their survival. Because if they had leaves in winter too, sooner or later they would dry up. Why? Trees evaporate much of the water that the roots take in through their leaves. In winter they cannot stay in this “evaporation mode” because the water freezes in the ground.
Conifers, on the other hand, cannot even be chased into the fenugreek in autumn. They are evergreen and do not shed their needles, because these are equipped with an insulating layer of wax that protects them from the cold and can store the water inside.
- Can tourists buy alcohol in Indonesia?
- What do you think of Rana Ayyub
- Swims badly for the skin
- How do I know something about everything
- What is metal sintering
- Which religion is most like Catholicism?
- Rules are made to be broken
- What do cancer biologists eat
- What restored your trust in humanity
- Police officers like to wear their uniforms
- It is rude to tip in Singapore
- What do the Japanese say after eating
- You can be intelligent but ignorant
- How to say basket in mandarin
- Is Malaysia a Chinese country
- How often do you smile every day
- Is it wise to learn big data
- What is a USB stick
- Why does my period last 2 days
- How will terraforming begin on Mars
- What is the Donald Trumps brand
- Is there a cheaper alternative to Ticketmaster?
- Why is sampling required
- Which country has the most vegetarians