How do hotels get their star rating
Standards in the hotel industryWhat do the hotel stars actually stand for?
The way to the hotel stars is long. Experts put the hotels through their paces with the help of a detailed catalog. For Swiss hotels, this also includes these criteria.
According to Hotelleriesuisse, a house with a star on its lapel is sufficient for simple requirements. Accordingly, basic comfort is part of it:
- Shower or bath and toilet in the room
- Daily room cleaning and change of towels
- TV with remote control in the room
- Table and chair in the room
Good to know
Freestyle instead of compulsory
Fitness room, spa area and swimming pool are not compulsory for any star category, but they give extra points - also with the guests. (Photo: NZZ / Karin Hofer)
With one star more, the hotel already meets medium demands. The company must offer the following:
- breakfast buffet
- Internet in the room or elsewhere in the hotel
- Card payment
- Offer of hygiene items such as toothbrushes and toothpaste
A 3-star hotel meets high demands. This is definitely part of it:
- The reception is manned 14 hours a day with bilingual staff, but must be available 24 hours a day
- Telephone in the room
- Hair dryer in the bathroom
- Dressing mirror and luggage rack in the room
In order for a company to be able to call itself a 4-star hotel, it must meet high standards. These services, among others, are mandatory:
- Reception is manned 16 hours a day with bilingual staff, but must be available 24 hours a day
- Minibar in the room or 16 hours of beverage service per day or vending machine on the floor
- Armchair or sofa in the room
- Bathrobe in the bathroom
- Guest lift for more than 3 floors
- Current newspaper offer
A bed and breakfast hotel does not have a restaurant and only offers breakfast and small dishes. It can reach a maximum of four stars.
A superior hotel is, so to speak, “best in class”. The company has clearly exceeded the number of points for its star category, but does not meet the minimum criteria for the next best category.
The Swiss Lodge title is awarded to 0-star hotels that still meet certain minimum standards.
Anyone who stays in a 5-star hotel is in the luxury class and accordingly has the highest demands on the house. The following is a matter of course here:
- The reception is staffed 24 hours a day with multilingual staff
- Concierge or bellhop
- Personalized greeting with flowers or a small present in the room
- Minibar and 24 hour room service
- Safe in the room
- Valet parking service
There are no uniform hotel star standards worldwide. The above information from the Hotelstars Union applies to Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Greece, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovenia, the Czech Republic and Hungary.
- How can I make backlinks in SEO
- How do psychiatrists diagnose bipolar disorder
- Hong Kong is great to live in
- How likely are gun-related family murders?
- What are some benefits of recycling copper
- How did Mars win the atmosphere
- Why shouldn't we drink contaminated water?
- What is customer marketing
- Have the Vikings valued the honor
- How is dark matter created
- How do photons move
- Is wine bad for our livers
- What is the difference between bugs and bugs?
- The most successful relationships are built on lies
- Who is the worst rock lead guitarist
- Who invented chess and how
- Who will make the money in the US
- What is Canadian French
- Does darkness exist
- Why do people edit their photos
- How do you end a prayer
- What are the fees of COEP
- How did discord become so popular
- What is the perfect simulation in statistics
- How does e-commerce work
- Cricket is a popular sport outside of India
- Should I go on a diet
- How does it feel to be sad
- Why is aluminum light
- What do you think of money
- A game designer gets paid well
- How can a child with autism talk
- What did you learn from others?