Why do people fail at addiction treatment
Addiction and addiction disordersAn addiction disorder can affect anyone
First of all, the term “sex addiction” is often a source of amusement. He is always noticed in connection with celebrities. For example, a world-class golfer is considered a “sex addict” - a man who “just can't let anything get burned”. But hypersexuality can be a disease, a type of addiction that, according to expert estimates, affects around every 15th person to a greater or lesser extent, whereby - here too, the experts agree - mainly men. But the line between sex addiction and a sexually active life is difficult to draw. But if a person no longer has his libido under control and acts like a driven person or if he continues after every supposedly fulfilling act of love again and again (and this over a longer period of months or years), "pathological" behavior can possibly be assumed.
In sex addiction, as in other addictions, the underlying mechanisms consist of a self-reinforcing feeling of exaltation or euphoria (positive reinforcement), which conceals inner emptiness, self-doubt or even just boredom (negative reinforcement), although this positive feeling does not last long. And - as with other addictions - the sex addict demands ever higher doses in the course of his illness, because his intense feeling of pleasure is less and less pronounced over time. Therefore, those affected inevitably increase their sexual activity, intensifying their sexual acts. However, this does not mean that sex addicts automatically develop a special predilection for fetishes or unusual sexual practices. In fact, most of them even long for a stable, loving and romantic - a "normal" - relationship, but unfortunately their sexual desire gets in the way, which makes them quickly bored of having sex with the same partner, so that they mostly use the numerous possibilities of the internet to find new sexual contacts.
As a variant of medically verifiable sex addiction, this Internet sex addiction is becoming increasingly important as an "insurmountable" desire to visit websites with sex content. The consequences are often withdrawal from real life (including partner-related sex life) and avoidance of social contacts and other pursuits in order to be “online”. Many hours, v. a. at night, are spent visiting online sex sites and often lead to daytime sleepiness and restricted work ability.
The following criteria are used to diagnose sex addiction:
- frequent, irresistible desire and intense preoccupation with the subject of sex, pornography, masturbation, etc.
- Loss of control and development of tolerance towards satisfaction
- Narrowing of the behavior repertoire in favor of addictive behavior and negative consequences due to "consumption"
- Withdrawal symptoms when doing without or suppressing them
- Inability to change behavior despite insight and defense mechanisms (justification, lies)
- Emotion regulation through the use of sex and personality changes (aggressiveness, irritability in situations outside of addictive behavior)
Sex addiction as a dependency disease sooner or later leads to negative social consequences (relationships, family, ability to work) and pronounced subjective suffering, both for those affected (shame, depression) and for those involved (social environment), and therefore requires professional treatment.
- What are some examples of antigens
- What is a personal health card
- What is a record
- Does eating without vegetables affect your brain
- Can women produce milk without pregnancy
- How much is 400,000 pesos worth
- Can foreigners live in Saudi Arabia
- Data scientists write production code
- Why is personality more important than beauty
- What causes muscle weakness
- How to say media in Japanese
- Who is behind Quora
- Which countries have the worst economies?
- What are the best English newspapers
- How is Kalpana Chawla remembered at NASA
- What's a good thing about Donald Trump
- What kind of country is Australia
- What is a mass shooting
- Tumblr is a good blog site
- Is life easier as a white person
- What is the scariest cult in the world
- Can I Short Sell Bitcoin Cash?
- What is B2C travel agency software
- Food trucks are here to stay