Poverty is the root of all evil
Poverty as the root of all evil
"The human tragedies hidden behind the statistics are a reminder that social and environmental progress is not a luxury that can be left aside when there are economic or political problems," said Flavin.
Failed in the fight against poverty
The international community has so far failed to fight poverty, said Michael Renner, one of the authors of the Worldwatch study. Today this contributes to global instability in the form of terrorism, wars and contagious diseases. "An unstable world not only prolongs poverty, it will eventually threaten the prosperity to which a wealthy minority has become accustomed."
The World Bank has just come to the same conclusion. Contrary to popular belief, civil wars were seldom the result of ethnic tensions and political feuds, the Development Bank found last week. Much more often, poverty and the heavy dependency on the export of natural resources are the triggers of the conflicts.
Around 13 million children are orphaned or half-orphaned each year because one parent dies of AIDS, wrote the Worldwatch Institute. 14.4 million people die of infectious diseases, twice as many as die from cancer. The institute calls for the greatest efforts to implement the UN Millennium Goals, which aim to halve the number of people living in extreme poverty by 2015.The institute, which carried out the study together with the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), wrote that environmental damage caused by climate change and deforestation mostly hit the poor. "It is practically impossible to create lasting peace and stability if the massive inequalities in the world persist and the natural systems on which we live are threatened," warned UNEP Director Klaus Töpfer. (APA / dpa)
- Where does Calvin's father work
- Which is better SolidWorks or NX
- What does underestimated and overrated mean?
- What is the golden rule in business
- Why does everyone love Fortnite so much
- White gold is real gold
- What is metametaphysics
- Should I learn Java first or C.
- What is the purpose of ln
- Can the PlayStation 4 be cracked
- Which religion has changed the world the most?
- Is the tail of a shrimp edible
- How many recessions has Canada had
- Why is LGBTQ illegal in Malaysia
- Can you forge fingerprints?
- True peace can be achieved on earth
- Should I take 4 HL IB courses
- What are common misunderstandings about veterinarians
- Which advertising networks offer keyword-based ads?
- What are the uses of discrete math
- How awful is life in Scotland
- Can dual citizens join the US military
- What makes you immediately dislike a meal
- What does Andrew Weill think of CPAs
- How can SEO help with customer loyalty
- Why do retail stores accept coupons from competitors
- Is the UK racist towards Muslims
- Which 3 exercises improve my volleyball
- What are some benefits of recycling copper
- Will Israel still exist in 25 years
- Are Chinese bigger than Indians
- Why is science fiction important to society
- The Black Friday sale is actually worth it
- How do you say find in Portuguese