How to make pastry pie
English Shepherd's Pie with extra fluffy mashed potatoes
Calories per serving of Shepherd's Pie approx. 520 cal with 4 servings
The Shepherd's Pie is an English minced meat casserole with mashed potatoes. Translated, Shepherd's Pie means "Shepherd's Pie". The Shepherd's Pie is traditionally baked with minced lamb. For the Shepherd's Pie you can also use the more commonly used pork or minced beef. Then the casserole is called cottage pie.
Vegetables are usually added to the minced meat; carrots and peas are used in this recipe. The fried minced meat is covered with mashed potatoes and then baked in the oven. You can use ready-made mashed potatoes powder from the supermarket for the mashed potatoes.
The Shepherd's Pie tastes much better with fresh, homemade mashed potatoes. A trick I learned from my mother-in-law makes the mashed potatoes wonderfully fluffy. To do this, the finished mashed potatoes are whipped up vigorously with a whisk until it is light and airy and disappears on the tongue. You should definitely try this the next time you mashed potatoes! Unfortunately, this does not work with ready-made puree made from potato powder.
Two more eggs are beaten under the mashed potatoes, this will cause the mash to rise during baking and make the Shepherd's Pie even looser.
Shepherd's Pie ingredients for 4 servings:
- For the Shepherd's Pie meat filling:
- 1 medium onion
- 200 g carrots
- 1 clove of garlic if desired
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 500 g minced lamb or mixed pork and beef
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 1 can of peeled tomatoes
- 150 g frozen peas if you like
- Salt, black pepper, rosemary
- For the Shepherd's Pie potato mixture:
- 1000 g potatoes, preferably floury and boiling
Add almost 200 ml of milk little by little
- OR 2 packs of mashed potatoes powder, milk and water according to the package instructions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt, nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 75 g grated cheese, e.g. Emmentaler
Bake Shepherd's Pie:
For the Shepherd's Pie, put the potatoes on top first if you are using fresh mashed potatoes. To do this, peel the potatoes, cut them into cubes and cook them until soft in water for about 25 minutes. Cut the onion into small cubes. Peel the carrots and cut with a vegetable slicer cut into thin sticks or thin slices. Peel the garlic. A baking dish grease with butter.
For the Shepherd's Pie meat filling, heat the oil in a pan and sear the minced meat in it. Then add the chopped onions and fry the onions until translucent. Now add a tablespoon of flour and roast briefly. Deglaze the whole thing with the vegetable stock and the tomatoes, and add the sliced carrots and peas. Put the garlic through a garlic press Press and add to the minced meat, season with salt, pepper and rosemary, and simmer for 10 minutes to pre-cook the carrots. Stir the meat filling from time to time.
For the Shepherd's Pie potato mixture, either prepare the finished mashed potatoes with the butter according to the instructions on the packet, season with salt and nutmeg and then stir in the eggs.
The Shepherd's Pie tastes better if you prepare the mashed potatoes fresh. Add the soft-boiled potatoes either through a potato press Press and only then add the milk, or add part of the milk to the potatoes immediately, and use a potato masher to stir the potatoes Tamp free of lumps. Carefully add the rest of the milk to the mashed potatoes little by little so that the mash does not become too thin. Add the butter, salt and nutmeg and then use a whisk to beat the mashed potatoes vigorously until light and frothy. Finally add the eggs and briefly beat the mashed potatoes again with the whisk.
First fill the minced meat into the greased casserole dish and spread the mashed potatoes on top. Spread the grated cheese on the Shepherd's Pie and bake the Shepherd's Pie in a preheated oven at 170 degrees fan-assisted or at 180 degrees top / bottom heat for about 30 minutes.
Have fun baking!
Shepherd's Pie recipe with picture as PDF print
You can find more delicious casserole recipes here:
Rice casserole with apples
Pastitsio Greek pasta casserole
Shepherd's Pie Recipe
© www.rezeptschachtel.de | Imprint | Data protection
- How stones grow from a pebble
- What are the obesity problems in pregnancy
- Who sets dealership prices
- Are the Americans in favor of gun registration?
- Do high school relationships ever last
- How do car horns make noise?
- What are some places that are remote
- Can social media destroy our education?
- How much force is 1 Newton
- What are the ten most important human emotions
- Do you own land in the UK?
- Why should NASA take photos from space
- What are examples of three-sided shapes
- How does an offline app earn
- You need customer experience marketing
- What are the sections of a library
- What are some conspiracy theories
- How do I monitor internet usage
- Can I find ADHD testing questions online
- How important is ethics in business
- Is affiliate marketing ethical
- What are domain names
- What is septicemia
- How can a vegan get fat
- Why do we say that everyone is beautiful
- Where is the regulator placed in motors
- How do you share your blog posts
- How does the Ebola vaccine work
- Why do husbands not respect their wives?
- How to say lock in Portuguese
- Can Reddit be compared to Quora
- Ghana is self-employed
- What is your main philosophy in life