Are humans really enduring animals?
If animals took part in the Summer Olympics, people could look pretty old. Usain Bolt, currently the fastest man in the world, could hang out on a dromedary while sprinting. He would have no chance against a cheetah, greyhound or ostrich.
This is reported by Veterinary Record, the journal of the Association of British Veterinarians, on Saturday. "Citius, altius, fortius (faster, higher, stronger) is the Olympic motto, but if we let the rest of the animal kingdom into the games ... we couldn't offer much competition," writes author David Sharp.
The Jamaican sprint star Bolt holds the world record in the 100-meter run with 9.58 seconds, which corresponds to a speed of 37.6 kilometers per hour. The fastest animal on land is the cheetah, which can reach speeds of up to 104 kilometers per hour.
A thoroughbred racehorse comes to 70, a greyhound to 69 and an ostrich to 64 kilometers an hour, explains the scientist from the Center for Sports Medicine and Performance Diagnostics at Brunel University in London. The dromedary, on the other hand, is a little slower than the exceptional athlete at 35.3 kilometers per hour.
When running a marathon, athletes cannot hold a candle to persevering animals such as camels or sled dogs. In the long jump they would be hopelessly inferior to kangaroos. These reach 12.80 meters, the human best is 8.95 meters.
The high jump record of 2.45 meters would be easily beaten by the springbok, which can jump higher than three meters. Grizzly bears and elephants would outperform weightlifters.
"We wouldn't win anything by running, jumping or swimming," is Sharp's conclusion. However, humans have an advantage. He is "really versatile". "We can sprint, cover long distances, jump, swim, lift weights." Therefore, athletes would have the most chances in competition with animals in a kind of decathlon in these disciplines.
This article was automatically imported from our old editorial system to our new website. If you come across display errors, we ask for your understanding and a hint: [email protected]
- Who is bigger The Beatles or BTS
- What are some symbols that mean family
- What are some good scrabble short words
- What do Indonesians eat for lunch
- Smart people keep their rooms clean
- Who started the war on drugs
- Millionaires are happier
- What percentage of marriages end in divorce?
- How can you keep a relationship healthy
- Did Trump lose the military vote
- Which ethnic group is most persecuted?
- What could be nicer than visiting Indonesia or Cambodia
- When the diet does not lower cholesterol
- What moves at the speed of light
- What are some unresolved paradoxes
- What creature has a heart in a head
- Darth Vader hated Kaiser Palpatine
- Well worth protein powder
- How to stop idealizing a person
- What bible is good
- Can water therapy cure cancer
- May Indians Pakistan
- What is Shopify Coded
- First year BCA students receive internships