How did Mexico get fatter than America?
Obesity in Mexico - Bigger than the Americans
“We have gone from being a model country when it comes to nutrition to a daunting example,” complains Alejandro Calvillo from the consumer protection organization “El poder del consumidor”. The latest figures prove him right. Mexicans drink more sugary fizzy drinks than anyone else on the planet, according to a new study by Harvard University. It is 180 liters per year and nose, i.e. around half a liter per day. The Mexicans even overshadow their neighbors in the USA who invented the cola.
But hamburgers, sandwiches and donuts are also flooding the Mexican market. At the same time, the consumption of vegetables and fresh fruit fell by a third between 1988 and 2002. The consequences are devastating. Seven out of ten adults in Mexico are overweight; in Germany, for example, it is only five out of ten. According to Harvard researchers, obesity and diabetes have killed around half a million people in Mexico in the past six years. That would be about seven times more victims than the drug war claimed in the same period. Mexican politics have recognized the problem.
A tax on sugary drinks is currently being discussed in Congress. The legislative initiative provides for a tax of one peso (six cents) per liter, about ten percent of the price. The government of President Enrique Peña Nieto expects that the levy could flush around 700 million euros into the state coffers in the coming year. But the planned soft drink tax is hotly contested and the drinks lobby is powerful. For example, a new TV commercial by consumer advocates warning of the sugar content has hardly been seen on Mexican television so far. The big TV companies refuse to broadcast it. You don't want to mess with the advertising partners of the powerful beverage industry.
From Klaus Ehringfeld
- What are the most popular blog platforms
- Obesity is a problem for the rich
- Is Donald Trump comparable to Shakespeare's Macbeth
- What's the worst relationship advice you've taken
- Groupon will go out of business
- Could Saitama escape from a black hole
- Where does the term hangover come from?
- What are some examples of OCD behavior
- What are the most original video games
- What do dragons eat
- How is a self-organizing map implemented
- Artificial intelligence can have morals
- When does the working week start
- Why should I consider a personal roof insurance
- How can I get a medical license
- What is the scientific definition of time
- Mental illness can be prevented
- What is the profit margin in cosmetics
- How good are upgrade placements
- What is in x
- Kuala Lumpur is the capital of Indonesia
- What are the consequences of iron deficiency
- What's the strongest cigarette out there
- What are some unspoken rules teenagers follow
- How many NIS graduates are there in Singapore
- Ancient Indians practiced polyamory
- Why is Australia so popular
- What do successful people eat for breakfast
- How do credit card companies make money
- Which 3 exercises improve my volleyball
- Which country can I move to
- What is 1 joule of electrical energy
- Are burritos real Mexican food