What is semantic analysis
Like any linguistic analysis, the semantic analysis of a linguistic unit also amounts to testing its syntagmatic and paradigmatic relations. The necessary substitute and postponement tests are carried out on the next higher grammatical level. Constructions then result that have to be assessed in terms of metalinguistics.
On the lower linguistic levels - more precisely: on the phonological and the flexion-morphological level - the substitute sample usually gives clear results of the following kind:
- is grammatical, but means something else
- is grammatical and means the same thing
- is ungrammatic.
Such findings suggest the existence of one of the three elementary paradigmatic relations - opposition, free variation, complementary distribution.
In semantics - i.e. on linguistic levels, where meaningful units are combined - the results are not so clear. For example, we analyze the meaning of a verb by inserting lexically or grammatically different nominal syntagms into the position of its actants. If a substitution is not possible, we conclude that the nominal syntagma is incompatible with the meaning of the verb - more precisely: a selection restriction - and can thus grasp the latter more precisely. In this sense, we use its singular counterpart for the plural noun in B1.a.
|B1.||a.||Erna picked peas.|
|b.||Erna picked a pea.|
- Are Huawei smartphones good or bad?
- What happens to people over the age of 50
- What are big data projects
- Which western power came to India first
- Are creative people smart or do they work hard?
- What are some paradoxes in business
- What inspired you to adopt a child
- Why are people intelligent
- How do I count the permutation
- How is sex like 1
- Why are some people afraid of AI
- Is playing in the casino fair?
- Which is the best flavored cake
- Why do lottery winners have to disclose their winnings
- Is there a racist Trump policy
- Why do we need vector space
- Bodybuilding is harmful to your health
- Why is life so meaningless
- Why is Python slower than other languages
- The earth magnetically attracts nickel-iron meteors
- Has Greta Thunberg FAS
- A smartphone causes cancer
- Why are American houses so badly built
- What is the color of the skin of arabs
- How do I attract European tourists
- Does India have immigrants
- What kind of paintings are usually sold?
- Which countries are big government
- What is the best burger joint in Singapore
- Where can I sell my collector's plates
- What is special about the Lonar crater
- What is an ADP application
- Which country has the best education in Africa