When does aging begin
Biological ageOf now at it’s going downhill
Hair loss, palpitations, blood pressure, wrinkles. At a certain age you can tell that people are old. Some even look older than they are. Some even younger. It depends on the genes. But also from your own behavior.
In the Australian city of Dunedin, researchers have done more than a thousand people questioned over and over again and their biological age examined. It was about the function of the internal organs, the metabolism and the immune system. The level of cholesterol and the condition of teeth and blood vessels are also checked. And above all the length of the telomeres, i.e. the ends of the chromosomes. Because they shorten with age.
Biologically speaking, twenty years older
When all subjects were 38 years old, the researchers around study director Daniel Belsky from Duke University found that the actual age of most participants more or less corresponded to the biological age. However: "There were some 38-year-olds who were ten years younger in terms of biological age. And some test persons looked like 60-year-olds purely from the data set," explains Tina Kießling from the DRadio-Wissen newsroom.
"Test subjects who had a high biological age also looked old in terms of cognitive abilities. That is, when it comes to thinking, learning or remembering."
Daniel Belsky hopes that the investigation will help to better understand the aging process. Because the demographic change and the diseases that go with it have so far mostly been studied in old people. "It would be much better if you could start earlier and not let it get that far in the first place," says Tina Kießling.
But there is also good news: According to Daniel Belsky, only around 20 percent of biological age can be explained by genes. The rest of the aging process comes from environmental factors - and they have to do with the way you lead your life.
In addition: There is no point in time when old age really starts in the body. The organs age differently, but mostly they show the first signs of wear and tear between the ages of 30 and 40.
- Will surpass Xbox Two PS5
- Are there still Armenians in Azerbaijan?
- Are chess com with the FIDE rating
- What is 1000 1
- What are some good rules for the cuckold
- Who was the first top Quora writer
- Are RVs worth the money
- Do open relationships work 1
- What is the limit of probability
- Will Brexit make Britain bankrupt?
- Has always existed
- How do I have sex without love
- Is Chile a developed country
- There is a lot of profit in renting an apartment
- What is the recyclable municipal waste
- How painful is cyanide poisoning when dying
- How many miles is a city block
- Where does time exist?
- Which first of all do you know
- Which person can no one really refuse
- Why is tangent important
- Quo is a valid Scrabble word
- What is immunotherapy
- Do homeopathic remedies really work?