How is an H1 needed for SEO
Optimize H1 headline - SEO tip 2
The H1 heading is an important HTML element that still plays an important role in search engine optimization.
You can find out why this is so, what a good H1 heading looks like and what you should pay attention to in my SEO tip today.
I also describe experiences, show examples and give tips for useful tools and plugins.
Parts of the SEO tips series:
1. Optimize the title tag for better rankings
2. Optimize H1 heading
3. Use subheadings
4. Write the meta description perfectly
What is the H1 heading?
The H1 heading is an HTML tag, i.e. a defined command for use in HTML pages. There are a total of 6 heading tags, namely H1 to H6. H1 is the most important of these, which can usually be seen from the size of this heading.
This heading is not only an important factor on the website itself, because it is usually used to represent the headings of articles and pages. It is also an important ranking factor in Google.
What is in there is seen by Google as very important and has an impact on the ranking. This is simply because this headline is usually best seen by users, which Google knows too.
Here is an example HTML code for the H1 tag:
In WordPress, the H1 heading is the headline of the respective article or page and you simply enter it in the corresponding field:
In this article, the H1 heading is “Optimize H1 heading - SEO tip 2”. That says clearly what this is about and the most important keyword is at the front.
I regularly update and revise older articles here on the blog and republish them. Of course, I also look at the H1 heading. For example, I made the new heading “Newsletter services from Germany in comparison” from the heading “German Newsletter Services”. The most important keyword is now at the front.
On my new website with microphone and podcast tips, for example, I gave a review the H1 heading “Rode NT-USB - Microphone Test”. Here, too, the important keyword (the product name) is in front and the heading is clear and compact.
Tips for the optimal H1 heading
That brings me straight to the tips for the optimal H1 headline.
- Only once on one side
The H1 tag should only appear once on a single page / article. After all, it is the most important heading and you should be clear here.
Unfortunately, many WordPress themes also use the H1 tag in the header for the name of the website / blog. This is bad and you should change that or refrain from this theme. The H1 tag should only be the article / page heading and nothing else.
- The most important keyword
The most important keyword of the article should be in the H1 tag. Depending on the page / article, this can be a main keyword or a longtail keyword.
But only one thing, because there is no point in overdoing it and stringing various keywords together. Google quickly recognizes this as over-optimizing. In addition, it must of course match the actual content of the page.
It is definitely an advantage if the important keyword comes first in the H1 heading. This has had positive effects in many tests.
- Striking & attractive
But as already written, the H1 tag is not only important for Google, but of course also for the readers. Therefore you should make this headline eye-catching and attractive. It should be a promise that the article is worth reading.
And it should be clear what exactly awaits the reader there. However, you should also be honest and not promise anything that is not kept in the article.
- Title and H1 heading
The previous SEO tip was about the title tag and this has many connections to the H1 heading.
There are different opinions among SEOs here, but I often use the same texts for both. One of the reasons for this is that the title is usually displayed in Google search results. When the users click on it and come to the article, the H1 heading should “pick up” the user with the same text in exactly the same place. This reduces the bounce rate.
Typical mistakes with the H1 heading
There are of course some mistakes that keep happening when creating the H1 tag.
- Using the same H1 headings over and over again on different pages of your website is a mistake. Of course, this happens when you have a lot of content, but then you should make sure that the H1 tags are unique. Otherwise just pay attention to it from the beginning.
- Missing H1 headings are of course also a problem. Given the importance that these have for Google, this should be corrected immediately and supplemented.
- As mentioned above, several H1 days are also a problem. Should this occur, e.g. due to an additional output in the theme, you should fix it technically. And under no circumstances should you use additional H1 tags manually in the text.
- Keyword stuffing is generally an SEO sin and of course also in the H1 tag. Therefore the H1 heading shouldn't be too long.
- Many bloggers have a nice style and use their slang in the article headline. But a headline like “What I've learned great recently” is simply bad from an SEO point of view and wasted potential. This may be interesting for other reasons (arouse curiosity), but as a rule an H1 headline should clearly communicate what it is about and contain the most important keyword.
- It would also be a mistake to only think of SEO when referring to the H1 heading. There are so many ways to create great and attractive headlines that are still SEO-friendly. Therefore, one should always keep the readers in mind.
Useful tools and plugin for optimization
There are many SEO tools that analyze the H1-H6 headings, among other things. I use XOVI and of course there is that too. Here you can carry out an on-page analysis and receive information on missing and duplicate H1 tags, among other things.
The free tool Ryte Free also offers an extensive on-page analysis, including the heading tags. Then you can see where there are problems.
The popular WordPress plugin Yoast SEO, which I also use, indicates when writing the article if there is more than one H1 heading in the text (including the headline).
With the H1 heading you can get a lot out of SEO if you stick to the tips and avoid the mistakes.
But also for the readers of your own website it is an important HTML element to which one should pay the appropriate attention.
How do you approach the creation of the H1 heading and what experiences have you had with it?
Free newsletter with tips, examples, insights ...
- Works PayPal in Russia
- Why was John F. Kennedy murdered
- Do you think everyone sees colors differently?
- Why sex is not important to some people
- Are there other websites like Medium
- How many US Congressmen are millionaires
- Psychological stress can lead to cardiovascular damage
- Were there interracial marriages in ancient China
- Which country has the brightest children
- Who are the Masons in Sarawak
- Is hiring house cleaners worth the money
- How do you define the will of God
- What are the components of cleaning services
- Are software developers overpaid
- How does Tumblr compare to Quora blogs
- How do craters form on Mercury
- Is R a good programming language
- Why are some narcissists religious
- What is Kolkata best known for
- How can I guarantee to make money online
- How is Trump's impeachment progressing?
- Why is sex considered wrong and dirty
- What is wellness versus health
- How healthy are protein powders