Can AirPods be paired with other devices
Connect and use your AirPods and AirPods Pro
You can use your AirPods to listen to music, make phone calls, use Siri, and more.
Set up AirPods with your iPhone
- Go to the home screen.
- Open the case that the AirPods are in and hold it next to your iPhone.
- A setup animation appears on the iPhone.
- Tap on "Connect".
- If you're using AirPods Pro, see the instructions on the next three pages.
- If you are using AirPods Pro or AirPods (2nd generation) and "Hey Siri" has already been set up on your iPhone, you can use your AirPods immediately with "Hey Siri". If “Hey Siri” has not yet been set up on your AirPods Pro and AirPods (2nd generation), you will be guided through the setup.
- Tap on "Done".
- When you're signed in to iCloud, your AirPods are automatically set up with all of your supported devices that are signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
Listen to audio with AirPods
When you put the AirPods in your ear, they automatically play the audio content that is currently playing on your device. Removing an AirPod from your ear pauses audio playback. Removing both AirPods from your ears will stop the audio from playing. If you only listen with one AirPod and take it out of your ear, AirPod playback will pause. If you put it back in your ear within 15 seconds, playback will automatically resume.
Learn how to choose the best-fitting tips for AirPods Pro.
Store the AirPods in the charging case. Keeping the AirPods loose in your pocket or bag can cause damage.
The following describes how you can switch from one device to another with your AirPods.
AirPods are connected to your iPhone and Apple Watch at the same time. The sound is automatically switched between the two devices.
So that the AirPods (2nd generation) or AirPods Pro can automatically switch between devices, iOS 14, iPadOS 14 or later or macOS Big Sur must be installed on the iPhone, iPad and Mac.1 Your devices must be signed in with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication. For example, while listening to music on your iPad, you answer a call on your iPhone. The AirPods automatically switch from the music on the iPad to the phone call on the iPhone.
In some situations, macOS Big Sur will display a notice on your Mac about your AirPods on your Mac's screen. When you hover over the notification, you'll see a connect button. Click Connect to confirm that you want your AirPods to switch to or stay with your Mac.
To turn off auto-switching on your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings> Bluetooth on the device with the AirPods in your ears. In the device list, tap the Info button next to the entry for your AirPods. Tap “Connect to this iPhone [or iPad],” then tap “The last time I connected this iPhone [or iPad]”. To reactivate this function, tap on "Automatic".
To turn off auto-switching for your Mac, open Bluetooth settings on your Mac while wearing the AirPods in your ears. In the list of devices next to your AirPods, tap Options. Tap "Connect to This Mac," then choose the "The last time I connected this Mac" option. To reactivate this function, select "Automatic".
If necessary, follow these steps to select a different device to play audio or switch audio to different headphones or speakers.
On the iOS device
- Open the Control Center on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Press and hold the audio card in the upper right corner of the control center to control the audio.
- Tap, and then select the device you want from the list.2
On the Mac
Click the volume slider in the menu bar, and under "Output device" select AirPods Pro3 or other speakers.
Control audio playback with your AirPods Pro
- To play and pause audio, press the pressure sensor on the handle of an AirPod. To resume playback, press again.
- To jump forward, press the pressure sensor on the handle of the AirPod twice.
- To jump back, press the force sensor three times.
- To change the volume, say, "Hey Siri," then say something like "Turn the volume down". Alternatively, you can move the volume slider in the app you're listening to music on the lock screen or in the control center. You can also open Now Playing on your Apple Watch and turn the Digital Crown to adjust the volume.
AirPods Pro let you control how loud you hear your surroundings. Press and hold the force sensor to toggle between active noise cancellation and transparency mode. You can go to "Settings"> "Bluetooth"> "AirPods Pro"> "Press and hold AirPods" to select which modes are toggled by pressing and holding.
Control audio playback with your AirPods (1st or 2nd generation)
You can use your AirPods to use Siri and control audio playback.
With AirPods (2nd generation), you can turn on Siri by default by saying "Hey Siri". And when you double-tap an AirPod, you can either play audio files or skip forward.
For AirPods (1st generation), double-tapping activates Siri by default.
Regardless of which AirPods model you're using, you can set each AirPod to do one of these things when you double-tap:
- Use Siri4
- Start and stop audio playback
- Jump to the next track
- Jump to the previous track
Learn how to choose what each AirPod should do when you double-tap it.
- With AirPods Pro and AirPods (2nd generation) you can say "Hey Siri".
- With AirPods Pro, you can customize an AirPod to use Siri when you press and hold the pressure sensor.
- With AirPods (1st and 2nd generation), Siri is activated by double-tapping.
You can use Siri with your AirPods to ask questions and make calls. You can also use Siri to control your music and check the AirPods. Here are some sample commands for Siri:
- "Play the 'My Favorite Tracks' playlist."
- "Turn up the volume."
- "How do I get home from here?"
- "Skip to the next track."
- "Pause the music."
- "What is the battery level on my AirPods?"
You can find more Siri examples here.
Use phone functionality and receive messages
Charge the AirPods and case
To charge the AirPods, put them in the case and close the lid.5 Once in the case, the AirPods will turn off and charge.
You can charge the AirPods Pro in the wireless charging case with a Qi-certified charger. While the case is charging wirelessly, you can tap the status indicator to see the charge level. A green light means that the case and the AirPods, if they are in the case, are more than 80 percent charged. You can also connect the case to an Apple Lightning to USB cable - either USB-C or USB A.
You can charge the AirPods (1st or 2nd generation) with the wireless charging case or the AirPods charging case. If you use the wireless charging case, you can charge the AirPods wirelessly with a Qi-compatible charger. Both cases can be charged with an Apple Lightning to USB cable.
You can find more information about the loading process here.
If you're using AirPods Pro, you'll need at least one of the following devices:
If you're using AirPods (2nd generation), you'll need at least one of the following devices:
If you're using AirPods (1st generation), you'll need at least one of the following devices:
1. When you have a conversation, e.g. For example, a phone call, FaceTime call, or video conference, the sound should not automatically switch devices.
2. AirPods only appear when they are nearby and ready to use.
3. If you don't see a volume control in the menu bar, learn how to add the icon.
4. If double-tapping to use Siri doesn't work, go to Settings> Siri & Search to make sure the "Allow Siri When Locked" option is turned on.
5. If you use both AirPods (2nd generation) and AirPods (1st generation), you should store them separately. Your AirPods won't charge if you put one AirPod of each model into the charging case.
- What is dry saturated steam
- In which country are teachers allowed to carry weapons?
- What's the best website for learning SQL
- How is the TISSNET interview
- Is colonization true on Mars?
- Why are 36 of NASA scientists Indian
- Dementia shrinks the brain
- Do you understand abortion is murder?
- Can gravity itself distort spacetime
- What is considered bad manners in Malaysia
- What is the capital of Palestine
- Which came first BC or BCE
- What is KFC's market segmentation
- How does the financing work
- Which fertility treatment is the best
- Note on writing Are these two sentences correct?
- Can spiritual techniques make me travel back in time?
- How is conscription
- What is Google's Stadia technology
- Christmas was celebrated before Christ
- Why are most terrorists called Muslims?
- Why is Singapore Race Obsessed
- Makes a website good business
- What is the COM domain used for?
- Why are there semi-automatic sniper rifles
- How is life in Taizhou
- What's in a supermarket
- Helps the Asians take positive action
- What inspired you to adopt a child
- How long did the Romans rule?
- If cats are cats, what are camels
- Why is Tupac Shakur a legend
- What makes a man ugly Why
- How do I learn to learn something