Is the Sharia law justified?
Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office
Regarding the upcoming introduction of the second and third phases of Sharia criminal law in Brunei Darussalam on April 3, the Federal Government Commissioner for Human Rights Policy and Humanitarian Aid at the Federal Foreign Office, Bärbel Kofler, said today (April 2nd):
I am shocked by the impending tightening of Sharia laws in Brunei. The death penalty is a cruel and degrading form of punishment. The same applies to other corporal punishments, for which Brunei is also creating a legal basis with this step. These punishments are incompatible with human dignity and cannot be justified on religious grounds.
Particularly disturbing is the tightening of criminal liability for sexual acts between same-sex partners who are threatened with stoning in the future. I strongly condemn the prosecution of people on the basis of their sexual orientation or their gender identity and the brutal punishments that result from them.
I call on the government of Brunei not to implement the planned tightening of sharia criminal law and, if the law does come into force, not to implement the death penalty and other corporal punishment under any circumstances. We see the criminal provisions as a clear violation of the country's human rights obligations.
The Sultanate of Brunei Darussalam plans to tighten Sharia criminal law on April 3rd. This creates a legal basis for extreme corporal punishments such as amputations for theft and stoning for same-sex and extra-marital intercourse. In 2014, Brunei introduced Sharia criminal law in a first phase. The impending introduction of the second and third phases has been postponed again and again since then.
- Why do northern Chinese people love noodles
- What is the prognosis for a Giardia infection
- Why do people try to impress others
- What is the salary of biomedical engineers
- Fish in the middle of the day
- What Are Some Good Christmas Cards Sayings
- How do I stop overeating
- Why is it considered virtuous to be poor?
- What is each shotgun choke used for
- What are human behavioral issues
- Why do people illegally immigrate to Canada
- What does dogeza mean in Japanese
- What is considered bad manners in France
- Can I put handkerchiefs in my underwear?
- How can we do 2 + 2 5 1
- What are coding jobs made of
- Why are smarter people less happy?
- What is the capital of New Zealand
- What is radiation therapy
- Why should we learn history
- Why did the Romans build roads in the first place?
- Is it wrong to hate poor people?
- This generation is smarter than previous generations
- Where can I buy a gun 1