Why are some old people so childish
Harbingers of Decline: Why People Suddenly Become Malicious As They Age
Lots of bad words because the coffee doesn't taste good or the wrong bed linen is put on: Relatives of older people sometimes wonder why they suddenly react grumpy, suspicious or even aggressive. Disputes arise that were actually considered to have been resolved. Years of subliminal conflicts may result in the older insulting the younger.
It can be difficult when the elderly has to be cared for and arguments keep coming back. But where does this behavior come from and how can relatives deal with it?
"If such aggressive behavior occurs, suddenly or increasingly, the relatives must first find out what is behind it," says nursing expert Christine Sowinski from the Kuratorium Deutsche Altershilfe in Cologne. A number of physical, psychological, or social reasons could be the cause.
“For example, it is often overlooked that older people have pain, sometimes so diffuse that they cannot say exactly where. If they suffer from a chronic disease such as rheumatism, the pain is sometimes no longer taken seriously, ”says Sowinski. She therefore recommends that a doctor clarify how such pain can be treated.
Aggressive behavior: stubborn old age or beginning dementia
Aggressive changes in behavior are also one of the symptoms that can occur with dementia. "Especially at the beginning of dementia, when people notice that they are becoming forgetful and can no longer find their way around so well, this can lead to blame and abuse," says Sowinski.
Not every dementia patient is prone to aggression, and conversely, not every verbal aggression is to be understood as an expression of an illness, says Professor Wolfgang Maier, Director of the Clinic and Polyclinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the University Hospital Bonn. “In general, many people in old age have problems adapting themselves socially, for example swallowing their anger,” says Maier. That is why they often withdraw - for their own protection, so to speak. Sometimes this behavior is also the first sign of frontal brain dementia.
What happens in the brain in Alzheimer's disease
- What causes low wages in a country
- How did you become a prostitute
- What are new dark ages
- Which is better Udacity Coursera or Udemy
- How harmful is jogging to the body
- Pre-Islamic Arabs were followers of Hinduism
- Who were Matthew Mark Luke and John
- How do I thank someone
- Like many southerners, 1860 owned slaves
- What is the oldest living turtle
- When was the first human being cloned?
- Who produces oil in Saudi Arabia
- What is an ad platform
- Which unexpected foods are actually really healthy?
- Can the stock market be predicted
- Are there any Quora teenagers
- How does your crush like you
- How is Christmas celebrated in Afghanistan
- What is the top performing credit card
- You quoted a sales rep correctly
- What happened to the re-ask button
- What does fashion mean about style
- What is gamification
- Is the time continuous or discreet