Vitamin D deficiency causes nausea

Von, medical editor and biologist
All NetDoktor content is checked by medical journalists.

A Vitamin D overdose (Vitamin D poisoning) can occur when taking high-dose vitamin D supplements. On the other hand, it is practically impossible to get an excess of vitamin D through normal nutrition or sunlight. Read more about the causes and symptoms of a vitamin D overdose here.

Vitamin D Overdose: Causes

A vitamin D overdose cannot occur naturally - neither through excessive exposure to the sun nor through copious consumption of foods that naturally contain a lot of vitamin D (such as oily sea fish).

The situation is different if someone takes high doses of dietary supplements or medicines with vitamin D and / or consumes large amounts of foods that have been fortified with vitamin D: If you consume more than 100 micrograms of vitamin D every day, you risk side effects such as kidney stones. The reason is that the body does not simply excrete excess fat-soluble vitamin D, but stores it in fat and muscle tissue.

In this way, excessive vitamin D intake can result in both acute and chronic vitamin D overdoses. Acute poisoning occurs when one takes an excessively high dose of vitamin D (as a preparation) in one fell swoop. Chronic vitamin D intoxication can develop if one consumes too much vitamin D over a long period of time (through preparations and / or foods fortified with vitamin D).

According to the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), a total intake of 100 micrograms of vitamin D per day is tolerable for children over 10 years of age and adults. In children up to 10 years of age, 50 micrograms of vitamin D per day are considered tolerable. Both vitamin D from foods (including fortified foods) and that from vitamin D preparations are counted towards the total intake.

Vitamin D Overdose: Symptoms

A vitamin D overdose can trigger various health problems, which are primarily based on an increased calcium level in the blood (hypercalcemia): The excess of vitamin D causes the body to take in excessive amounts of calcium from food and also to increase calcium from the food Loosens bone. Via this mechanism, an overdose of vitamin D can have the following effects, among others:

  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • extreme thirst (polydipsia)
  • increased urination (polyuria)
  • Feeling weak
  • a headache
  • nervousness
  • Kidney stones and kidney damage to kidney failure

For this reason, you should not take vitamin D supplements on your own if you suspect or want to prevent vitamin D deficiency. It is better to go to the doctor and have your blood values ​​determined. If you do not have enough vitamin D or are at increased risk of such a deficiency, the doctor can prescribe a suitable preparation for you. He will determine the duration of ingestion and the dosage so that you do not have any Vitamin D overdose have to fear.

Author & source information