What is 50 percent of 50
A test (for example a disease test) gives the correct answer in 99% of the cases, but the wrong answer in 1% of the cases. In Germany (80 million inhabitants) 100,000 are sick, all people are tested. Then the following results:
- Of the 100,000 sick, 99,000 are recognized as sick, 1,000 are mistakenly believed to be healthy.
- Of the 79,900,000 healthy people, 1%, i.e. 799,000 people, are mistakenly believed to be sick.
Conclusion: A total of 99,000 + 799,000 people (ie 898,000 people) are declared sick - of these, however, only 99,000 (ie about 11%) are really sick.
To distinguish one speaks of Error of the first kind (the percentage of sick people mistakenly believed to be healthy) and dated Error of the second kind (the percentage of healthy people who are mistakenly considered sick): In our example we assumed that both errors are 1%, but in practice these percentages will be different - only the following applies: no test is infallible, it always occurs Errors of the first and second kind).
To assess whether a test makes sense, the (of course only estimated) ratio of the number x of patients to the number y of healthy people plays an essential role.
(In our example, 1% of y was significantly greater than 99% of x - in such a case the test makes little sense; especially if the testing itself should have possible side effects.)
- What information means is power
- DoubleClick is also a DSP
- America is led by the Illuminati
- What's faster than light
- Have female companions sexually transmitted diseases
- Which search does Google not know
- How am I supposed to invest 1000 at 14
- Why do we eat every day
- What is the importance of information theory
- What does the polishing of wooden floors do
- What is 800 meters in kilometers?
- What is gold worth versus diamonds
- What is the most popular affiliate program
- What websites offer free B2B email lists
- What is the difference between health and fitness
- If photons experience a time dilation
- How did consciousness develop
- What are some deep quotes from songs
- Why doesn't Starbucks sell bubble tea
- Graphic design is a lucrative business
- Why is the Tesla Roadster being discontinued
- Who designed the first uber app
- What do foreigners think of Chinese
- Bodybuilders can be considered athletes