What is your opinion on educational games
10 reasons children benefit from computer games
Creating your own worlds, driving car races, trying out musical instruments or helping ancient civilizations to rule the world - computer games are one thing above all else: fun! But there is much more to digital games: In order to master the challenges in the game, many different competencies and skills need to be developed and improved. Nevertheless, computer games are far too seldom used as a means of learning or starting a conversation with children.
On the subject "Game Based Learning" Danube University Krems has now published two new booklets together with BuPP.at:
Parents and educators will find a lot in it Tips, suggestions and concrete ideas for using computer games in the family or in child and youth work. Because: If children are given educational support while playing computer games, they can benefit enormously from it!
10 reasons children benefit from computer games
- Games are part of the world in which we live. Whether on the computer, on the console or as an app on the mobile phone - digital games are simply part of everyday life for children and young people. If adults also want to participate in this world and are interested in their children's games, this strengthens trust and understanding for one another.
- Challenge and encourage computer games. Children encounter a wide variety of challenges in games. To master these, depending on the game and genre, different competencies and skills are required, which are actively trained by playing:
Cognitive skills, e.g. B. logical thinking, problem solving
Sensorimotor skills, e.g. B. Responsiveness, hand-eye coordination
Social skills, e.g. B. teamwork, cooperation, empathy
Media literacy, e.g. B. Software knowledge, navigation, media criticism
Personality-related competencies, e.g. B. Self-criticism and self-reflection, tolerance of frustration
- Games are a topic of conversation. Game worlds and game activities offer plenty of points of contact for conversations - with friends, in the family or in class.
- Games open access to serious issues. So-called "serious games" offer a good starting point to deal with topics that are otherwise difficult to access (e.g. death, war, morality, etc.).
- Games set transfer processes in motion. Experience and knowledge from computer games can - with guidance and support from adults - be transferred into reality.
- Empowerment. In play, children and young people experience themselves as competent: Successful experiences motivate and their own actions are experienced as effective. Young players can also be encouraged to take on the role of experts and share their knowledge of computer games with adults.
- Reflect on media usage behavior. The topic of computer games can be used as a starting point to talk about the use of media together. Both opportunities and risks can be discussed.
- Live out creativity. Computer games offer great opportunities to try out different roles or to simulate completely new situations.
- Learn playfully. Computer games offer different learning opportunities and settings than school. Embedded in an educational framework, certain games can also support children at home - be it in mathematics, languages or history. But it doesn't always have to be an "educational game": All Computer games offer learning experiences that can be the starting point for further engagement with the topic.
Last but not least:
- Playing together connects and is fun! In addition, it invites you to break down social and cultural barriers.
- Why are people under the age of 18 called minors
- Are any anti-vaccine arguments scientifically legitimate?
- What is feminine
- Why Switzerland is so clean
- What is the infinity root of infinity
- How does Ahrefs Backlink Checker work
- Are Clickbank affiliate links allowed on Facebook
- Is a life worth living without happiness
- Why is math called math
- What makes a blog successful
- How am I supposed to top the class?
- Love people with a mind or a heart
- Can light exist without darkness
- Are electrical services highly profitable
- Is it difficult to join the army
- Which is China's oldest city
- Why are cells different in size and shape
- Can watching TV series be a hobby?
- How to sharpen serrated kitchen knives
- Can you eat sulfur salt
- How to make bongo drums
- What is the vector for leishmaniasis
- How much does UPenn support international students
- How can crocodiles kill you
- What does PVP
- How was Braess' paradox discovered
- How can organizations improve the motivation of their employees
- What's a governor in a car
- What is an ADP application
- Should education make better politicians
- What is your greatest achievement in life
- How does SEO work in WordPress
- How to say student in Japanese