Is water soluble in water
Water as a solvent
In the solid salt, the positive and negative ions are arranged alternately, resulting in a three-dimensional lattice - the ion lattice. Table salt (= sodium chloride) consists of positively charged sodium ions and a negatively charged chloride ion. These attract each other. If you now put table salt in water, the following happens:
- The ions are released from their lattice structure and can move freely in the water.
- The water molecules rearrange the positive sodium ion in such a way that the weakly negatively charged oxygen atom points to the positive sodium ion.
- The negative chloride ion, on the other hand, is surrounded by the water molecules in such a way that the weakly positively charged hydrogen atoms point towards it.
- The accumulation of water molecules on dissolved ions is called "hydration".
- The ions now enclosed by the water molecules dissolve in the water.
How well solid, liquid and gaseous substances can be dissolved in water often depends very much on the temperature.
Fats and oils that have a large molecular structure or are not charged are repelled by the water. You can see this when you add oil to pasta water, for example. The oil does not dissolve, but "floats" on the water.
Incidentally, water-soluble substances are referred to as "Hydrophilic", water-insoluble substances as "Hydrophobic".
- Love arises from understanding
- What are some innocent mistakes that you have seen
- How do you live passionately
- How cancerous are wearable electronics
- What an unusual Shakespeare play really surprised you
- Men like women who masturbate
- How do photons move
- Are related to lobsters and lobsters
- How to fish in Galveston Bay
- Rules are made to be broken
- What are primary tumors
- Why does speed affect time in space
- How is a teenager supposed to have sex
- What is the true nature of colors
- What force causes spacetime to bend?
- Are Samsung phones reliable
- How can I start my own magazine
- Why are school lunches bad
- What are your best love quotes
- Are the British or the Japanese more polite?
- What caused the Malaysian race riots
- Are there other websites like Medium
- Is Australia a dangerous place to live
- E-commerce is good business