What is gynecomastia
Under one Gynecomastia one understands a unilateral or bilateral enlargement of the male mammary glands, which emanates from the glandular body.
- Real gynecomastia: increase in breast tissue
- False gynecomastia: accumulation of fatty tissue in the glandular body as a side effect of obesity. It is also known as adipomastia, pseudogynecomastia, or lipomastia.
3.1 Physiological causes
There are many causes of gynecomastia. Physiologically, gynecomastia is found in up to 90% of newborns and in 40-70% of people during puberty. Gynecomastia is also common in older men. One differentiates accordingly:
- Neonatal gynecomastia: A transient gynecomastia caused by the mother's female sex hormones that are transmitted to the newborn through the placenta.
- Puberty gynecomastia: It develops in the course of puberty and usually disappears completely. In some cases it can persist. The cause is an increased expression of the insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) in connection with an increased estrogen and testosterone level.
- Pseudogynecomastia: Develops from fat storage in the mammary gland in obese people with a body mass index (BMI) of around 30.
- Old age gynecomastia: It is caused by the relatively higher proportion of fatty tissue in the total body mass of older people. This increases the conversion of androgens to estrogens, while the testicular androgen product kion decreases.
3.2 Pathological causes
Possible pathological causes include:
|Increased levels or effects of estrogen (hyperestrogenism)|
|Decreased levels or effects of androgens (hypogonadism)|
5.1 ... according to Hall
- Grade I: clinically only palpable enlargement of the glandular body
- Grade II: magnification that can be determined by inspection
- Grade III: corresponds to a female breast
5.2 ... according to Tanner
- B1: no glandular body palpable
- B2: Areola enlarged, gland bulging
- B3: glandular bodies larger than areola
- B4: solid glandular body
- B5: corresponds to female breast
The following criteria apply to the objectification of gynecomastia:
- horizontal fold of skin including the nipple of 2 cm (3 cm for obesity)
- or areola diameter> 3 cm.
6.1 Medical history
- Symptoms, onset, course
- Symptoms of androgen deficiency
- Underlying diseases
- Medication, drugs
6.2 Physical examination
6.3 Laboratory diagnostics
4 ml of serum are required for laboratory diagnosis of gynecomastia. The following values are examined, which are intended to exclude breast or testicular tumors on the one hand and endocrinological causes on the other:
6.5 Further investigations
7 differential diagnoses
The following differential diagnoses must be distinguished from gynecomastia, which are mostly localized on one side:
In gynecomastia, causal factors should be eliminated or treated. Physiological or idiopathic gynecomastia can be treated for cosmetic reasons or when pain occurs. In the case of gynecomastia during puberty, wait-and-see observation is recommended, as spontaneous regression (even months to years after puberty) can be expected.
8.1 Drug therapy
In the initial phase of gynecomastia (up to approx. 6 months), tamoxifen (10-20 mg / d) can be administered. The administration of clomiphene, danazol, aromatase inhibitors (testolactone, anastrozole) and the local application of dihydrotestosterone is also possible.
Note: This dosage information may contain errors. The dosage recommendation in the manufacturer's information is decisive.
8.2 Operative therapy
If the gynecomastia has existed for more than 6 months, fibrosed changes are often found, so that only surgical correction is possible. There are various surgical techniques (e.g. intraareolar or submammary incision, removal of the glandular and fatty tissue, plastic reduction, two-stage tightening surgery).
- ↑ Seibel V et al. The incidence of gynecomastia in dermatological patients, dermatologist 1998; 49: 382-387.
- Will Trump survive his term of office 2?
- What's the strongest cigarette out there
- There are a greater number than googolplexian
- How much have you invested in Bitcoin
- What are some interesting statistics projects
- Why is Singapore called Little India
- Why is Denver growing so fast
- Daily drinking of soda causes health problems
- Is supply chain management important
- What is the largest city in Europe
- Is Haleakala worth seeing when visiting Maui
- Why don't I like this person
- How practical is silat
- How do I deal with rude nephews
- What is Affiliate Marketing Can it Help
- Affiliate Marketing is a great career option
- What is a reserve fuel tank
- What is the longest range tranquilizer
- How did consciousness develop
- What are the best CPA traffic sources
- Which operating system is best for the PC
- Do people really enjoy working in counseling?
- Why do theories have to be falsifiable?
- How often do bodybuilders take steroids