Where in the world is English spoken?
English How the English language became the world language
Average rating: 4.10 of 5 with 30 votes.
Because there are so many different languages on earth, it is useful to have a language that everyone speaks or understands - at least a little. This task has mainly been done by English since the 19th century. How it came about is here.
From: Kathrin Hasselbeck
Status: November 20, 2018
The expansion of the British Empire, the British Empire. The English began very early, around 1500, to sail the oceans and conquer foreign countries. So it came about that in the 19th century Australia, New Zealand, India, parts of China and Africa and North America, among others, were under English rule. In some of these countries, English has established itself as the main national language.
Nowadays, America, or rather the USA, has a great influence on world affairs. America often sets the tone in politics and economics, but above all in modern pop music - including, of course, Great Britain, which is also English-speaking. Whether rock'n'roll, swing, blues, hip-hop or rap - everything made in USA or made in the UK. Since this music is heard in almost every country in the world, the language in which it is sung also spreads.
Incidentally, while English is the most widely spoken language in the world, it is not the most widely spoken. Only the standard Chinese language Mandarin is spoken by a lot more people because there are so many Chinese in the world. For comparison: "Only" around 320 million people speak English as their mother tongue, while Mandarin is spoken by around 870 million Chinese! However, if you count all people among the native English speakers who have learned English as their own language, then you are even catching up with the Chinese: Worldwide, up to a billion people can speak and understand English. So instead of having to learn the many thousands of languages in the world in order to be able to converse with people, English is simply used as a language bridge on which to meet. That's great, isn't it?
- When God created people who God created
- Tigers eat their prey alive
- Do you really need a website?
- Ultrasonic jewelry cleaners really work
- How do I get relationship advice
- Why do attractive people like attractive people
- What problems do overweight people have
- At what age does puberty begin?
- What are the concepts of psychology
- How low will the yuan go
- What sensations are as pleasant as sex
- When was glass first used as a window?
- Could portals break physics?
- Is life a dream or a reality
- Are children smarter than us
- How do you know if you are pregnant?
- How do you develop a poor country
- How could my life last longer
- What love means is love
- How do I get real raw honey
- Is there a way to collect photons
- Why don't people give money to the poor
- Why did the Romans build a coffer dam?
- Threatening to shoot someone, a crime