Can Pripyat be repopulated now?
The radioactive ruins of Chernobyl are getting a new burial site
LARGEST MOVABLE OBJECT
The dome is a unique engineering achievement. “It's a real Mecca for engineers. I hope, of course, that we will never have to erect a comparable dome elsewhere. But from an engineer's point of view, it's fascinating, ”says Nicolas Caille, head of the international project led by Novarka. "We will implement groundbreaking things."
The construction is in the form of an oversized aircraft hangar and consists of kilometers of steel tubes that are held together with around 600,000 custom-made bolts - for around 15 euros each. So far, the cost of the 110 meter high, 165 meter long and 260 meter wide dome is 2.1 billion euros. If it is positioned on special Teflon and stainless steel coated rails next year, it will be the world's largest man-made object that will move on the mainland.
The dome, clad with two layers of shiny stainless steel, can be seen from the abandoned city of Pripyat, three kilometers away. In between there is a forest that is slowly being populated again by wolves, lynxes, game, wild boars, elks and beavers.
Dehumidified air circulates in the gap between these stainless steel layers so that no rust can form. By reducing the pressure in the space, the risk of radioactive dust escaping is also minimized.
The structure is designed to withstand the tremendous heat of a fire and the freezing cold of a Ukrainian winter without losing flexibility. In addition, the NSC will be able to withstand an earthquake or a tornado with a wind force of up to 332 kilometers per hour.
- How much profit does Quora make annually
- What are some negative effects of refugees
- What are some nude pictures
- Mosques can be demolished
- Is psychiatry a pseudoscience?
- Why do people from Quebec speak French?
- Which investment fund is tax-exempt
- Why do people envy a good person
- Are pesticides bad
- What are the Most Shocking Websites
- Note on writing Are these two sentences correct?
- Are Wirtinger derivatives acceptable in mathematics
- Why is Friedrich Nietzsche rated negatively
- Why are women so obese now
- How useful are pets for the owner
- What are the side effects of Kreuzkuemmel
- Is clear dreaming dangerous 3
- Why is it considered virtuous to be poor?
- What does chewing tobacco do
- How can I heal ME?
- Why do many mathematicians go crazy?
- When did Islam get so radical?
- What do you think about homosexuality
- Why are Glock 18 so rare