Will PHP exist in 2020
PHP 5 will be switched off. Soon a lot of websites will stop working, maybe yours too. You will probably read that more often on the Internet. What does that mean and above all: Is it all just hot air or is there really cause for concern for your website? We will help you to take a closer look at the problem.
What is PHP anyway?
PHP is a scripting language that was specially developed for web programming. PHP is widespread and has been around since 1995. Over 79% of all websites now use PHP. It is easy to learn and gives the programmer the ability to quickly create dynamically generated web pages. The PHP code is “open source”, which means that the language is open and freely accessible to everyone.
Why is PHP switched off and by whom?
PHP is constantly being developed, improved and revised. A new version of PHP comes out every 1-2 years. A PHP version will be supported for 2 years after its release. During this time, the version will be actively worked on and bugs and security problems will be fixed. In the third year after publication, there was hardly any work on the version. It only fixes serious problems and security vulnerabilities if necessary. After 3 years, support for the version will be completely discontinued, security gaps will no longer be closed and serious problems will remain.
In order for a website to be able to use PHP, PHP must be installed on the server of the site. This provision of PHP is usually done by the host. 1 & 1, Strato, One.com, Hostinger, Webgo, to name a few. These hosters usually have not only the latest but several PHP versions installed so that websites that work with older versions can still work.
However, if a PHP version gets so old that it is no longer portable, it will be uninstalled or switched off by the hoster. However, if your website requires this version of PHP then it will no longer work. The horror of every website operator.
Is my side affected?
In order to answer this question, a few things must first be found out.
- Does my website even use PHP?
- If so, which PHP version is my website using?
- Which PHP versions does my host offer?
- Which PHP version will be shut down soon?
All websites that work with a so-called CMS (Content Management System) such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, TYPO3, Wix, etc. run via PHP. Most online shops also use PHP. Static websites that have only been programmed with HTML are usually not affected. If you have your website maintained by a professional, it is usually not affected either, because they know about the latest PHP versions and update the page accordingly. A big advantage for all Fastmedien24 customers with a maintenance contract.
Hosters often inform them by e-mail when they plan to switch off an old PHP version. If you have received such an e-mail or are not sure which PHP version your website needs, or if you would like to leave this matter to a specialist, then we would be happy to advise you. To contact.
- How is McDonalds so cheap
- Can we use acupressure for asthma?
- When is a probability zero
- What is the most dangerous city in Hungary
- Mandarin is older than Cantonese
- What is real analysis
- How does a pen represent your personality?
- Which is the best game for PC
- What is the best protein powder for 2018
- Is Genesis from the Bible story
- Who combined juicing with intermittent fasting?
- Dogs harm their owners
- How much does a nickel weigh
- Who started philosophy
- How can I advertise my services
- Are there not Roman Catholics
- How can I get my blog monetization
- How was AOC chosen in the first place?
- Why should I consider a personal roof insurance
- Make narcissists good lawyers
- Can I have Viagra after the gallbladder has been removed
- How does Ruelpsen affect heartburn
- What is required in MHCET
- How many Roman emperors were there